FRAM High-Mileage Oil Filter Reviews???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever tried these filters with "full synthetic" oils on higher mileage/older engines? I see them in the stores all the time but haven't heard a whole lot about them.

I bought 10 from rock auto for a buck a piece they are a little better than orange cans which i never had an issue with either.I would use them if the price is right for what your talking about been using TG for 7500 to 10,000 with syn.

I thought they were just orange cans with some "time released additives". They're not really my thing. Nothing against Fram (see my sig), but I would rather my oil contain the additives rather than the filter. I'm sure they wouldn't hurt anything (probably wouldn't help either) if ran for a reasonable amount of miles.

Last edited:
Right it looks like some sort of goop they put in the filter. Similar to sludge, so you get a head start on that.
smile.gif

well they are gold and have the magic crystals lol i use them for a buck a piece never had an issue with them .I dont go out of my way to buy them but when they are 1.00 a piece and i use them in a high mileage vehicle they work fine for me.I have some OCDs from pep boys sale with penzoil.I would buy a better filter if i was paying more money.Or trying to go 7,500 to 10,000.

It is an orange can with their proprietary time release additives. These supposedly help clean the engine, neutralize acid and maintain oil viscosity.
I don't think I have ever seen anything with an analysis of what it actually contains.

I passed on them when they were $1 at Walmart. Just not my thing.

My g/fs son changed her oil and filter in her 99 Malibu Wednesday afternoon (9/27/17). He used a FRAM HM PH3387A oil filter and 5 qts. of VML 5W30. He also had bought a few of the HM oil filters for $1 each from WM.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think Fram makes any new ones.
Discontinued

Now closed out at WM, this would seem to be the case.

They were an orange can with an additive basket in centertube promoted as addressing TAN. It was said to have been derived from the long haul diesel industry. However, their ocis are much longer than 5k miles for which the orange can is rated.

So imo, a pointless filter not worth the price premium over the orange can. Most any API rated oil good for 5k miles with no need for proprietary additives in a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back