Could HDEO be the cause of Valve out of spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just noticed that my valves tick halfway while riding. Could it be that changing to HDEO from 4T be the cause of it? Like the detergents washing away the dirt/sludge on the engine internals and causing a change in valve height etc?

Didn't really notice whether the tick was gradually getting louder because I usually ride with music, and only happened to notice it today.

Valve height doesn't change unless there is valve seat recession or a valve job is performed at which time the machinist doing the work should check for installed height. A hydraulic lifter could get a piece of dirt in it causing it to collapse or something is starting to fail internally which will cause a tick, the HDEO didn't cause the problem.

Originally Posted By: Brandonysz
Hey guys, I just noticed that my valves tick halfway while riding. Could it be that changing to HDEO from 4T be the cause of it? Like the detergents washing away the dirt/sludge on the engine internals and causing a change in valve height etc?

Didn't really notice whether the tick was gradually getting louder because I usually ride with music, and only happened to notice it today.

What brand of bike? If a Moto Guzzi, just spend the ten minutes per cylinder and adjust the valve lash back to spec. Easy peasy !!

Valves tend to get tighter not looser on modern engines with modern oils. When I had my Triumph checked that was the case as the valves had hammered a bit into the seat from taking it to 7k RPM from time to time.

Now as some mentioned if it is looser the things that cause that is a hydraulic lifter needing adjusted or you wear. Heck my bike was louder after being properly adjusted. Kind of annoying but better a little sloppy than too tight.

Thanks for the replies, that means I can continue using it hahaha! Gonna go get it checked by my mech today and see if it valve adjustments.

@Loneranger & Robenstein: Not a triumph, CBR150R DOHC 4 Valve hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back