Best thickness for Nitrile Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the question about wearing gloves or not. It makes sense to wear them. But what thickness in your opinion is the best compromise between longevity and comfort/dexterity?

For automotive work I don't go below 7 mil anymore. They still tear but not nearly as often as the thinner stuff. I have a box of 9 mil to try when I run out of the 7s.

I use 9 mil. Still plenty of dexterity but they last a little longer. I find I will still rip even the 9 mil if I am working on something long enough. I also have a bottle of baby powder I sprinkle in the glove to help get it on. I find my hands sweat quite a bit in nitrile gloves.

Go with 9 mil.

My first box was 7 mil. They work fine for a quick job, such as an oil change. But for more lengthy jobs, I'll end up having to put on new gloves once or twice before the job is done. And it becomes a real annoyance to have to stop and change a glove. Especially when you realize a glove is torn and your hand is getting dirty. It kind of defeats the purpose.

Now I use 9 mil, and they easily last throughout a job. In fact some times I'll save a pair to use for another job, because they are in such good shape.

Find a brand with a long cuff also. It sure helps keep you cleaner.

I like the 9 mil, but the ones I buy at Harbor Freight even at XL are too tight to get on easily and I have to rip 'em off.
I must have big hands or maybe Chinese sizing is way off.

I have 3, 7 and 9 mil. I like using the 3 or 7 mil when I paint and the 9 mil when I'm cleaning parts in solvent. When I'm actually wrenching I don't use gloves, I use invisible glove in the tube so the dirt and grease wash off easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back