GM 6.5L; Rotella T6 5w-40; bearing problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: njsteve

I can't imagine anyone abandoning a vintage truck like this and then spending ten times the cost of this new engine to buy a brand new 2017 Suburban when they don't even make a 3/4 ton version any more, or offer a diesel engine.

GM's biggest problem is they aren't listening to the customer.

Exactly. They totally abandoned a major market segment - I bought this truck new in Central Florida where every horse owner down there used to pull with a 3/4 ton Suburban til GM dropped it. They had room for the whole family and gear and horse trailer towing capacity. Now they are forced to buy a big 1-ton dually pickup with not enough passenger space, and 5 feet of additional length.

They have upped the towing capacity of the new 1500 Suburbans but the heavy duty suspension, brakes and springs aren't there. And of course, no diesel version. If you see a modern Suburban towing something large, it inevitably has the tail dragging the ground and the front wheels dangling in the air. Very dangerous.

I do love this old truck! She is running great now - starts at the click of the key. Much more power than the old engine, with the same old, comforting clackity diesel sound I've gotten used to over 22 years.

Wow, great thread! Nice job keeping such a nice car on the road. Those pictures are great to see after reading the UOA. I know a guy who pulls horse trailers and bought the last year of 3/4 ton Suburbans that they produced. He said he would drop some serious cash on a new 3/4 ton Diesel Suburban if they produced one. Instead he had to "settle" for a 2500 HD Silverado. Poor guy.

You can go two ways here wait it out and monitor UOA on regular interval and hope its just bearing streak or...should you see it get much worse have it pulled out and "freshened up" meaning new bearings and new machine work done that it needs. Maybe light hone and new rings get heads cleaned up and valve seats redone. Call it a day and keep her in family for another 20 yrs. At some point when UOA gets real bad id have her pulled out, its better it doesnt get damaged real bad and only light crank wear that can be polished out with maybe bearing to bring bearing clearance back into spec.

Last edited:
Never mind I just read all the way through this great thread. Well UOA didnt send you in wrong direction. Thats awesome you pulled it apart and showed us whats going on. Beautiful Sub you got there specially for its age it looks like new. And I fully agree with you Chevy is outa their mind with sub prices for well equipped they want like 85k what the heck... lol Even 15 silverado prices compared to 18s have increased alot. I bought mine new also and dont plan on selling it for long time.

I'm glad I did the analysis. Could have been really expensive if the original engine expired on one of our upcoming trips and had to have it towed all the way home.

I just got back from towing my 24 foot car trailer to a car show in Lake George. The truck got 12 mpg towing. That's 2 mpg better than the orginal engine ever did! All sorts of power too, and the coolant temp never went above 195 degrees even with a 95 degree outside temperature.

I've been sending all the oil from all my other engines in as well. Even my 29 year old John Deere lawnmower! I'm kind of addicted to it now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back