What makes Toyota oil better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Too crass to be GHT for sure, definitely not his posting style.

Right, this is the angry type. Some of them are just angry in general (remember the hovering airplane thread?) but this one seems focused on Fram. Maybe that's just to throw us off
grin.gif

Looks like he stayed up all night. Will have to checkout the Honeycomb hideout website and see what the troll chatter is on this. Some guys know what I'm talking about.

Ok,now my curiosity has gotten the best of me haha. Ght?? Is this you? What in the world is the honeycomb hideout? Maybe it's boredom instead of curiosity haha,it's too quiet here in the break room at work :p

It must have fell asleep in the basement. What a foul mouth troll. The level of swearing and using lol in comments usually tells us this is a kid or a seriously deranged nut.

All I asked was about what makes TGMO better, is it really better than the name brand synthetic, and why Toyota didn't do anything to eliminate Pennzoil Gold? After 111 post later, I failed to mention that I was specifically referring to the 0w20 oil requirement on a vehicle Toyota recommend 10,000 mile OCI. But, boy, weren't the digits spilled and over the poor Fram oil filter which never was initially mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
All I asked was about what makes TGMO better, is it really better than the name brand synthetic, and why Toyota didn't do anything to eliminate Pennzoil Gold? After 111 post later, I failed to mention that I was specifically referring to the 0w20 oil requirement on a vehicle Toyota recommend 10,000 mile OCI. But, boy, weren't the digits spilled and over the poor Fram oil filter which never was initially mentioned.

Well obviously Toyota stands behind their oil to run 10K OCIs. But I'd bet using any top tier motor oil will do just as good. Since you don't hang out in the oil filter forum, maybe you got some info on those too ... that's how chat boards go sometimes.
smile.gif

Okay, I did two runs of TGMO 0W-20 during the super-hype era. I wanted to try the oil and found it to do nothing special as compared to any other oil I've used in the newer Accord.
With what I've since learned, I'd prefer either M1 AFE, M1 EP, maybe M1 AFE or PP in this grade.
Note that there is no published volatility nor W data for TGMO.
Yeah, it meets the 0W qualification, but both M1 AFE and EP crush it and also offer low NOACK as 0Ws go. PP is not quite as good in either test. Have no idea about AP, but we will once PQIA tests it, as they will.
Fram?
Used Fram orange cans for years after the eighties CR oil filter test showed them to have unusually good efficiency and never saw any problems with them. Have an orange can on the old E350 right now with no problems to report and I've used Ultras without issue.
The newer Forester and the newer Accord will be getting M1 AFE and Ultras for their winter runs.
Guess I'd better cross my fingers.

The most info we can get on TGMO and other similarly branded oils are the analysis reports posted here. I think we haven't had one posted recently so the info we have is likely outdated. For newer modern engines especially DI and TGDI engines, M1 AFE is a reliable choice.

Right, and we have very good information on M1 AFE from the PQIA VOA as well as from the SDS that proves it to have a significant proportion of PAO in its basestock blend.
This Grp IV content shows in the excellent 0W and volatility numbers this oil shows in the PQIA VOA.
When I wrote that I was crossing my fingers, I was being facetious.

I took your comment to be in reference to LSPI since the engines in those choices are susceptible in some way. The Accord is getting the 1.5 Earth Dreams engine as is in the Civic and CRV. The Forester has the turbo option too. Would you be going that route or stick with the 2.5?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I took your comment to be in reference to LSPI since the engines in those choices are susceptible in some way. The Accord is getting the 1.5 Earth Dreams engine as is in the Civic and CRV. The Forester has the turbo option too. Would you be going that route or stick with the 2.5?

No big fan of small car gasoline turbo engine. Just a problem waiting to happen pulling to many HP hours out of small blocks is going kill them early in life in my opinion. But I've been wrong before those small 400K mile turbo cars could change my mind.

Last edited:
A lot of variable have to come together for any engine to achieve a long life. How does the driver treat the engine? Maintaining the engine. The design of the engine also comes into play. Some engines are known to have issues. As the TGDI engines become more and more the standard we will see failures from owners who never change their oil or are lax on maintenance. These engines require more attention than their old school counterparts. I knew a person who always kept putting off oil changes. If I recall correctly he had about 25k one time on just a single oil change. Social life was more important to him. I believe the members here tend to be on top of their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Oh great.

I guess I had better go to TGMO after using PP 5w30 in my car for over 218,000 miles to avoid any issues.

Yes, first thing in the morning before you do more cold start damage to your engine.....
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back