Grease for Reciprocating Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 25 year old Bosch PFZ 550E reciprocating saw suffered a sudden death while pruning heavy roots. I took it apart and identified the broken part, a guide bracket which I've ordered for $6.00.

There is some old grease in the mechanical area and I'd like to replace or add grease when I reassemble it. The electrical side doesn't appear to be well separated from the mechanical side and I don't want the grease to migrate into the electrical side. And I use the saw for pruning so it's used in all sorts of positions.

I have some 20 year old wheel bearing grease that looks about the same consistency. Would that work? I also have some Lubriplate and Molybdenum grease gun grease but they both seem pretty thin. Other suggestions?

The old grease still looks reasonably clean. Should I leave the better grease and just add a bit, or replace it all?

I just read an article yesterday about someone re-greasing their angle grinders. There was enough grease in there, it just needed to be redistributed on the gears. If it were me and there was a fair amount of clean grease in there, I think that's what I would do, rather than mixing greases. I have yet to read exactly what grease to get for these type tools.

In power tools, grease is grease. It's intermittent use, not like wheel bearings.

On angle grinders, centrifugal force throws most of the grease off.

I always add a little bit of STP in there, also.

I like molykote 33 for this sort of stuff if there are plastic parts in there.

Less is more it seems, if it hasn't migrated to the electrical section before, why would it now?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like molykote 33 for this sort of stuff if there are plastic parts in there.

Less is more it seems, if it hasn't migrated to the electrical section before, why would it now?

There are no plastic parts except for the casing. It's 25 years old (which is probably a good thing) and appears to be quite well built.

I've had another look at the division between the 2 sections and it looks better than I had originally thought. There has been some seepage but it's toward the bottom and away from the electrical.

As my plan A, I think I'll try to spread out the old grease, as suggested by wayne50. There might be just enough.

But any further suggestions on a replacement grease would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back