'04 Mini Cooper S JCW - 5w30 or 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol 0w40 it is then
smile.gif
. Thanks for all of the help!

LL-04 is for all newer diesels and gasoline engines outside of the U.S. My understanding is the LL-04 can be used in a U.S petrol vehicle but the OCI should be reduced.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Does LL04 supercede LL01? Noticed PP 0w40 lists the LL04

LL01 is high SaPS as like a A3B4.
Would I buy one for '04 Mini ? ..Yes..

LL04 is mid SaPS as like a C3.
Would I order/buy one for '04 Mini ? .. No.
Would I pour one at hand to '04 Mini ? ..Yes.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Does LL04 supercede LL01? Noticed PP 0w40 lists the LL04

LL01 is high SaPS as like a A3B4.
Would I buy one for '04 Mini ? ..Yes..

LL04 is mid SaPS as like a C3.
Would I order/buy one for '04 Mini ? .. No.
Would I pour one at hand to '04 Mini ? ..Yes.

LL04 is preferred and recommend specification for 2004 MINI in EU. Castrol Edge 0w30 to be specific.For ROW LL01 is valid specification.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Mommy used to say that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself.

Why don't you tell us what you drive so we can sh!t all over it?

The bitter/envious BMW and Mini trolls seem to be popping up all over BITOG...

It is not the correct oil for his engine. He would want Castrol Edge A3/B4 5w-30 if he wanted a compliant Castrol 5w-30 oil.

Exactly. Need the A3/B4 stuff.

The LL-01 30W and 40W are almost the same oil, really just get whatever is easier/cheaper.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Only since you are asking ...

I vote for a 5/30 with the proper specs required by your engine simply because you live in a colder northern climate.

AGAIN: If the oil carries LL01 approval there are no significant differences in thickness between grades; whether it says 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, Castrol, Mobil, Motul, Mag1, or Ravenöl on the bottle is irrelevant.

If an oil is LL01 APPROVED, just pick the cheapest one, or whichever brand you prefer, or whichever bottle looks the coolest. It's splitting hairs trying to find an actual reason pick one over the other.

You will be happy with EDGE 0W-40. I don't think there's a better value in the LL-01/A40/229.5/502.00 oil market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back