New puppy...potty training

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our newest family member, Oliver. He is a 10 week old Miniature Schnauzer CKC purebred. Unfortunately he has been peeing all over the house. What are the most effective ways of potty training? Unfortunately I am away for 9 hours a day, so he stays in a crate. Today for instance I have been home for most of the day, and he has went pee at least 4 or 5 times inside. I take him out multiple times a day when I am home also. What am I doing wrong? And how long does it normally take before they stop using the bathroom inside?

Crate train him they really don't like peeing in their own bed. My Jack Russell was going to the back door begging to get out at twelve weeks.

He sure is cute. Good luck.

Last edited:
When he is in the crate is he able to hold it until you get home?

Puppies have to learn to wait and not go as soon as they get the urge. Just takes time, but be proactive when you are home and try to take him out often enough that he doesn't go inside. It just takes some time before they get the hang of it and learn that outside is the right place to go.

Very cute dog
smile.gif

Small treats when he comes in from peeing outside, and lots of praise when he goes. Make a big deal about it. Dogs want to please their owners, so you can't over praise them. Use a word, the same word all the time so they know what you want them to do. After a while they'll make the connection . Try giving them a little less water, especially before bedtime. Good luck.,,,

I have grown up with dogs. No different than a baby. Take him out every 2-3 hours, being away for 9 hours is a long stretch especially for a young and small breed ( small bladder!). My younger one took about a year before the accidents stopped. Take your time and he will grow into a loyal companion.

Is there no way you can visit at lunch or have someone visit at lunch? 9 hours is a long time for a puppy to be left alone.

Great looking pup anyway.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Look into Crate training I believe it's best method for all dogs.

So do I.

Got new dogs a couple years ago and crated them both. Works fantastically for me, still need lots of praise and treats when things go right.

The other thing to note is a tiny dog will simply require more trips than a big guy!

I read where they have no bladder control when they're young and gradually develop the ability to hold it. I remember having a German Shepherd pup that was peeing as he was drinking water. As soon as I let him out of the crate he was so exited and whizzing as I let him out of his crate in the house. I was ready to do a bee line to the door which was 10 feet away but not quick enough and I'm fast. He also went number two on the carpet just inches away from the tile floor. It was massive in size.

When they're really young you need to bring them out every hour at least, reward them for going outside. Make sure you're consistent on which door you bring them out and rewarding them and watch out for them faking it, they will figure out that squatting and pretending will get them a reward.

I think we got lucky with the German Shepherd puppy! She picked up right away! Crate training helps, a lot I think.

Get home from work and bring her out immediately. Then learned her body language for when she has to go outside, and bring her outside.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think the crate will be a good tool. He stays in there during the day and for bedtime, so as soon as I take him out of the crate we go outside. Just a moment ago I took him outside and he went right away, that was the first time. YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back