Single stage paint care help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mr2 is currently my daily driver. Car is in beautiful shape and one of the most clean examples of an mr2 most people including myself have seen. Zero rust. The car was repainted in 2010 the factory toyota super red single stage paint.

Here comes my question. How the [censored] do you stop the paint from turning pink in the sun and prevent scratches? If you drive this car into the mountains for a few days, it's hot pink when you get it back home. Common issue with this color from toyota. It also scratches and swirls if you look at it too hard. I have buffed and polished it many times and it always makes it look amazing and factory new but eventually I will run out of paint to buff and the car will be a pink scratched mess.

What products should I used to protect the paint and prevent it from doing this? Car lives outside at my office and in my garage at night.

It needs durable protection from the sun's harmful uv rays. Wash, clay, polish, rubbing alcohol wipe down so the sealant will bond properly, apply some Collinite or Duragloss #111. Stick in the garage over night so sealant can cure and keep dry for 24 hrs. At least once every two weeks apply a spray sealant like Duragloss Aquawax. Use a rinseless wash from Duragloss that also contains Aquawax in it once per week.

Have you considered a clear vinyl wrap like Xpel, and/or one of the ceramic paint coatings such as Cquartz or Modesta?

Neither are cheap, but what are your time and effort worth to continually polish and wax? I had both done on my Corvette and it makes paint care pretty much zero-effort. Washing is hilariously fast, and I rarely have to do it. It ALWAYS looks freshly waxed and I know I have a barrier against UV, chemicals, etc.

The Klasse twins (All in one, sealing glase) are legendary for single stage paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
My mr2 is currently my daily driver. Car is in beautiful shape and one of the most clean examples of an mr2 most people including myself have seen. Zero rust. The car was repainted in 2010 the factory toyota super red single stage paint.

Here comes my question. How the [censored] do you stop the paint from turning pink in the sun and prevent scratches? If you drive this car into the mountains for a few days, it's hot pink when you get it back home. Common issue with this color from toyota. It also scratches and swirls if you look at it too hard. I have buffed and polished it many times and it always makes it look amazing and factory new but eventually I will run out of paint to buff and the car will be a pink scratched mess.

What products should I used to protect the paint and prevent it from doing this? Car lives outside at my office and in my garage at night.

Kind of hard Toyota paint is CARP! Should have picked someone else's paint for the repaint!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

Kind of hard Toyota paint is CARP! Should have picked someone else's paint for the repaint!

I didn't do the repaint but I prefer to keep it a factory color. It was done by an independent paint shop for quite a lot of money and was done very well.

Take it back to the body shop who did the work, they usually guarantee it for life. Fading after 7 years to another color is NOT normal, even if it is single stage.

How about a pic of the hot pink paint? Swirls and scratches come from abrasion, not looking at it. It almost sounds like the paint is dead.

As SatinSilver knows, I am a huge duragloss fan..why, because it just plain works. Single stage paint neglected Toyota 4-Runner. Due to budget, I had to get creative. Compound w/ M105 and followed up w/ DG 501 for final polish and seal in one. Seem to work great and Duragloss 501 or 105 work great on single stage paint. Single stage paint needs to be protected or it can and or will start fading within a year many times.

Great work, but the look of those swirls make me think that that wasn't a single stage paint. Did your pads end up all black?

To Tiny Voices: Red paints are hard to keep looking their best. Find a quality paint protection system (Personally I like AutoGlym as it's priced more competitively in Aus then Mothers or Meguiars.) You want to ensure you have a mechanical polisher (even good results can be achieved with an orbital sander with foam pads.)

Start reasonably harsh to remove any oxidized/damaged paint and to remove scratches. (AutoGlym Paint Renovator works well at this stage, but be careful it's got alot of cut)

Then move to a polish to flatten the surface. (Autoglym Super polish resin is my choice, but Meguiars 205 or Mothers Micro-polishing Glaze are also great.)

Then you really need to seal the now freshly exposed and naked paint. My choice here is 2 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. With EGP, follow the directions!! This needs to be applied very thinly, do it by hand, not orbital or rotary buffer. A simple foam or MF applicator pad is best. Let the first sit for 30-60 minutes before removing on a +20°C day (don't do it on a cold day or too late in the day as it wont go off.) Then let the second coat cure over night and remove in the morning (best left in a garage or at leaf under a car port.) Be sure to remove any dust before buffing off with a microfibre towel, or you can quite easily scratch the paint. Mothers and Meguiars also both do synthetic sealants as well, but they're far more expensive.) You want to ensure you use a non-abrasive sealant, stay away from 'Finishing' or 'Cleaner' waxes / sealants. these are best left to clear coat paints. You want a non-abrasive sealant (the three products described above fall into that category.)

If you enjoy waxing your car more regularly you could use a Carrnuba wax. In Aus Mothers California Gold Paste wax or Bowden's Own Liquid Carrnuba Wax are the best choices. Others are simply too expensive. (No surprise that I own both...) They both smell fantastic.

I've basically done this exact process on my 1992 Pulsar GTi-R. It's a single stage sunburst yellow. The paint was heavily oxidized (sat outside exposed for 4 years,) dull, ruff and lifeless. Now the paint is like a mirror
smile.gif
There was lots of pad cleaning, and lost of colour removed from the car. Keep your pads clean. I also used alot of product in the cut phase as it was so bad, and fall out was horrible.

As with any paint care (especially older single stage jobs,) keeping it away from trees and bird bomb hot spots makes a big difference. Also not leaving it out in the sun every day of the summer... Any bird bombs or sap left on the paint and left to bake in the sun will mar the paint, requiring further polishing to remove. Washing regularly to remove road grime (this tends to be acidic in nature, and will thus attack your paint) and adding a new coat of sealant every 23 months (as a minimum) (whether it needs it or not.) Doing so will add that microscopic layer of protection to the paint, keeping the oxygen away and ensuring that the lustre lasts. Old Porshe and Ferrari paints are even more susceptible to paint fade than Toyota's. The owners thus ensure that their paint care is kept up to date as if left to oxidize, more polishing is required. More polish = more paint removed, and the paint is only so think. Doing as I've instructed will ensure that you'll likely only need a light machine polish every 6-12 months, with regular sealant applications as mentioned before. It's all about creating a sealing layer between your paint and the elements. And ensuring that that layer remains intact.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Great work, but the look of those swirls make me think that that wasn't a single stage paint. Did your pads end up all black?
Jordan

Jordan, I own a detail shop and have been a professional full time auto detail for almost 20 years now. It was single stage paint and yes, my pads turned black. It was a VERY messy job and cleanup is no fun. More single stage fun below:

Last edited:
Late to the party yet again...but... If you're not looking for perfection, but want to get that old red paint looking red again, Meguiars #7 is where it's at. Best results are to apply a coat and let it sit overnight in a garage if possible. Wipe off and apply a sealant and it should last a while. Now the new formula isn't as easy to work with, but it still does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back