To Glove or not to Glove. That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally didn't wear gloves for vehicle maintenance growing up

I bought some mechanic's gloves a few years back after replacing the 16 factory installed spark plugs in my truck's Hemi. I should mention I've been on blood thinners since 2011 for a rare clotting disorder that didn't manifest until then.

I got some 4 packs of free 6 mil nitrile gloves from Autozone this summer when ordering items with free ship to home and 20% off online discount code. Tried a pair during oil & filter change on my truck today. Will use these free ones up but not sure about purchasing more. I only do this a few times a year, not day in & day out.

Most of the time, I use 6mil blue nitrile. I keep a pair of mechanics gloves on hand for when I'm heavier stuff, and leather work gloves for when I'm dealing with hot stuff.

The only time I go gloveless is when I'm doing something where I need a lot of fine dexterity. Fiddling with SU carb linkages can be one of those situations.

In general, though, I use gloves for everything. I even keep a box in the trunk of every car if I need to do a roadside repair.

I'm a chemist in my day job and always have gloves in my lab coat pocket and some of the other stuff I wear around work. There's also a box convenient to all of my work places. I put on gloves pretty much any time I'm dealing with chemicals, whether at work or at home. Funny enough, the only time I don't is when I'm messing around in the dark room, and that's mostly because I can't stand the loss in dexterity(I can't load film on developing reels with gloves on, for example, and also have issues handling printing paper).

The only issue with disposables is that I've had them poke through and not noticed it.

I hate the feeling of any rubber glove. I was a mechanic professionally from 1984 to about 2003, long before ANYONE wore gloves.
When Mechanix gloves came out, I first thought they were a gimmick. I gave them a shot in the winter and decided they were worthwhile.
I have a few pair ranging clean to various stages of dirty. The dirty ones get used for brakes and other such work.
They also make a different style glove for carpentry that I like to wear when doing that type of work.

We used to have a starter and alternator shop in our family's generator shop. The guy that worked for us in the starter shop used to wash his hands at the end of every day in Naptha. Used to freak me out. His skin looked horrible. He ended up dying of cancer at about 72 but he also smoked and drank so not sure what the exact cause was.

I try to wear gloves as much as possible. Nitrile is generally what I use.

Thing is, they don't breathe, so it gets very wet inside the glove. Then undoubtedly something comes up or I need a tool or part that requires me to remove gloves. The next set is harder to get on with slightly damp hands. And on it goes...

Rarely do I wear them.

When I'm dying my daughter's hair I most certainly do, and some of the chemicals and weed stuff in the shed similarly.

I've got issues with things that might get tangled in rotating equipment, and would rather a scrape or a bruise than get caught up in stuff. Always have a pair of pigskin rigger's gloves in my helmet just in case I genuinely need them, and to keep company policy on "gloves on person" when on site.

Now I'm out of turbines, and the mutant healing factor at 49 is nothing like it was even 5 years ago, might have to reconsider...just loathe the loss of dexterity.

Lots of good open fingertip gloves online - protects 2/3 of fingers, palms, knuckles, back of hand ...
At one time I found some with thumb and forefinger only - harder to find ...

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
All the gloves I buy fall apart halfway thru the oil change. Could someone recommend a quality brand / option

Page 2, second to last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back