Need a new 1/2 In impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mainia
Why [censored] your money away on labels..... Harbor Freight Tools had a hard time keeping their top of the line 1/2 and 3/4 impacts in stock because pro mechanics from all the big shops were buy them after winning the shoot out tests. The manager at my local store had a group of Lexus and Porsche mechanics come in in their uniforms wanting to buy these.
I own one it's not strong enough

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Why [censored] your money away on labels..... Harbor Freight Tools had a hard time keeping their top of the line 1/2 and 3/4 impacts in stock because pro mechanics from all the big shops were buy them after winning the shoot out tests. The manager at my local store had a group of Lexus and Porsche mechanics come in in their uniforms wanting to buy these.
you think they all went back in together to return them afterwards? I have an ir 2135Qtimax that i really like busts everything i need loose.

I oil it 2-3 times a day , grease the hammer housing once every two weeks. I figure air tool oil and grease are cheap , the impact wasnt.

I work in a die maintenance shop. It is a torture testing ground for impacts. The Nitro cat 1200 K has stood the test of time. 900 ft lbs break away. Three settings with the strongest being 600 ft pounds on tightening. Twin hammer. It's awful tough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SquirrelMan
FYI; the Nitrocat 1200K is a product by Aircat

Ive never use a Nitrocat or Aircat but have heard they are stupid powerful.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like my Aircat 1150 a lot. It is very strong, and priced right.

+1!!! Sweet gun. Couple this with high mass Lisle socket and the infamous Honda crankbolt spins off like it was only hand tight.

Originally Posted By: SquirrelMan
FYI; the Nitrocat 1200K is a product by Aircat

Manufacturer told me the 1200 was not a good choice for general use. It will too easily snap a bolt. After using my Aircat 1150, I am sure I made the right choice.

Yeah I have not used any other aircat impacts besides the 1200 k. But it's very impressive. It has broken bolts before but I'm convinced nine times out of 10 the bolts are already in a weakened state.

It's definitely too much for bolts under 12mm; even on the lowest setting. but it shines on 12mm up through 22mm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflop
I have an ir 2135Qtimax that i really like busts everything i need loose.

I've had this one for many years. It's never let me down.

Ok so still have been looking around. I'm curious about the klutch brand from northern tools.they all look very similar to Ingersoll or air cat depending on the particular gun. I also looked at a thunder gun it's heavy. But I like a louder gun for me personally I always get Leary with the real quiet ones because I never feel like they're that strong. The g10k looks like a thunder gun so I'm wondering who really makes it ? Any info or personal experience is awesome. If I ever need it repaired knowing where to get the parts would be a huge help.

I've been wrenching cars for 40+ years and using air tools for 30+. But I've seen the future. Tough to beat these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18...67-20/302654201

Just so convenient. My air tools stay in the drawer.

Unless you're working on an M1 tank or a Cat dozer, this will handle anything. The lower torque ones are used most of the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
I've been wrenching cars for 40+ years and using air tools for 30+. But I've seen the future. Tough to beat these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18...67-20/302654201

Just so convenient. My air tools stay in the drawer.

Unless you're working on an M1 tank or a Cat dozer, this will handle anything. The lower torque ones are used most of the time.

Too heavy for me plus I hate screwing around with battery charging.

Last edited:
What quick connect do you have on it?

if you arent using a high flow connections it will sap about 50% of your power.

Also this is at least your 3rd or 4th thread on impacts... might want to just reread your old threads for the advice given.

This is the gold standard for high flow fittings, there are some even better ones that are pricier

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-217-Style-Coupler-Plug/dp/B001O2ZGQ6

Last edited:
Not enough pressure from your compressor is a bigger concern. You would be surprised at the actual working pressure is at the gun with all the pressure drops along the way. I maintain 125 psi at the regulator to even get 90 at the end of the line. It takes a 2 stage 175 psi compressor to get the most out of your air tools. Unless you have a good compressor, cordless tools are hard to beat anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I oil it every morning.

With what?

One of the mistakes I was making with my cheaper "Edge" IR was putting motor oil in it. I was supposed to be using the much lighter air tool oil. I even had some, I just had to dig it up. Since it was all gummed up I pulled it down, wiped it out, blew it out and oiled with with the air tool oil, put it together, and that was worth about 30% more torque right there.

I had other problems, but it sounds like you and your coworker were both using the same shop air, so the comparison should be the same, unless... some quick release disconnects flow better than others. I had a bad one that was killing my impact's performance, replacing that with a high-flow was the last piece of the puzzle. You're probably using the shop's hose, but just saying, use the same hose when comparing impacts, so you're not comparing hoses.

Originally Posted By: Rand
This is the gold standard for high flow fittings, there are some even better ones that are pricier

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-217-Style-Coupler-Plug/dp/B001O2ZGQ6

Hmm that might be an oblique reference to me. I'm the crazy guy who sprung the big bucks for all GuardAir High Flow fittings. If I had to do it over again I'd go for Milton V. But if you must have the biggest and baddest 1/4" NPT-3/8" hose system, then GuardAir it is. Here's my 1/4" NPT air coupler comparison picture, with internal diameters listed.
5ZxRQb9.jpg

Originally Posted By: THafeez
harbor freight has a 20% off coupon. Gonna get this https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-61173.html and it'll only be 40 plus tax with the coupon. I only need it to change tires and loosen stuck bolts. Light duty so it should be fine. If it isn't then it'll be promptly returned.

A friend has that, works fine for lug nuts. To darn big for anything else, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back