Cost effective 0w20 in single quarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG, I need good deal guidance from the masters. I just bought a mitsubishi mirage with a tiny 1.2L 3 cylinder engine. It has a 3qt sump and specs 0w20 synthetic oil. Since it has a 3qt sump I prefer to buy in single quarts as i don't like having open 5 qt jugs around. Does anyone know of good places to buy single quarts in 6 or 12 packs? Sams club stocks mobil 1 AFE 6 packs for $37 but they are out of inventory in store and online currently.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Occasionally Napa does $3.49/ quart certain times of the year.

What is it with BITOG people and NOT wanting an open 5 quart jug around? Is your garage that small or are you worried about contamination of the open jug?

As foreign as is it to some, some people just don't like the 5 qt containers. I don't mind a 5 qt container at all. But I do like single qt containers as well. Easier to add from a single qt container if adding 1/4 qt, or 1/3, or 1/2 of a quart. As big as the openings are on a 5 qt container it is easy to get more than you would want to add. Again, I have a couple of 5 qt containers myself right now. Valvoline 5 qt container, a Mobil Super Synthetic 5 qt container and a Havoline Pro DS 5 qt container. One thing I also like about some of the 5 qt containers is that they tighten down ALL the way and do not break lose. This makes them great for transportation to a recycling center. Mobil Super Synthetic 5 qt containers, Castrol 5 qt containers, Valvoline 5 qt containers and Super S 5 qt containers all tighten down perfectly and stay that way. Pennzoil containers and Havoline containers all tighten down then pop loose again. Not ideal at all for transport.

Last edited:

+1

Napa Synthetic on sale would be my first choice in a low-cost synthetic.

It's your wallet. A 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 still has the $12 rebate til the end of October and it's $22.88 at Walmart so it's $10.88 after rebate which you can submit online. You'll be hard pressed to find a better price per quart. Only drawback with the 5 quarts is that you'd have to use some other container to return the old oil til you use up the rest of the container. Only time it's really cheaper is during the Autozone clearance which is about $2 a quart for synthetic but that tends to start in December and it's random which weights go on sale.

That sale is on now until the end of this month.

I have seen those containers leak rather often. Strange but a good Mobil Super Synthetic or (some others) 5 qt container is much more reliable about not dripping or leaking than the 15 qt containers.

AZ closeout last year had Valvoline Synpower 0w20. Watch the sales and rebate section starting next month.
NAPA synthetic as mentioned.
I bet the current 1.15 a quart (at Advance) Havoline 5w20 would be just fine in that engine.

Thanks everyone. I really just prefer single quarts over 5qt jugs for this application. If a car takes between 4-5qts then I'll get a jug no problem. But as this car only takes 3 i can buy a case of 12 and do 4 oil changes with it. Plus it's very satisfying to open 3 fresh quarts for every oil change. Not saying its what everyone should do, I just prefer it.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
What is it with BITOG people and NOT wanting an open 5 quart jug around? Is your garage that small or are you worried about contamination of the open jug?

It is funny, but some of us are OCD with respect to container size. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

Aap has qsud OW20 singles on clearance for $2. Any other time than clearance sales,there's usually never any cost effective single quarts.

Why not just fill up some empty qt bottles from a 5qt jug?
Much cheaper and using qts will keep your OCD happy and satisfied.

House brand from the farm/fleet type stores.
RK has their house brand at good prices and the penalty for buying quarts rather than a jug isn't bad.
Meijer here does the same. Both offer the 0W-20 grade in their house brands.
Menard's offers frequent deals on Synpower in this grade and then there's always the shadow Synpower from NAPA.
The price of M1 in quarts is pretty awful, but you could buy ten of these and get $24 back.
You'd have three changes worth and a quart for any needed top-offs.
Finally, as others have suggested, there will be year end clearances at the major chains and a lot of folks seem not to like to use 0W-XX oils, so you always see some in these clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back