Diff and TC fluid capacity, expansion question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the manual for my 2006 Escalade:

The front and back diff fluid should be approx 5/8" below the filler plug hole.

The Transfer case should be filled with "enough lubricant to raise the level
to the bottom of the filler plug hole".

So thats what I did. Today I decided to check levels of all 3 hot. The diffs remained in spec, but the transfer case literally squirted hot Dex III out of the filler plug hole. When it slowed I put the plug back in and measured what came out. Approx 5 ounces. Should I refill after it cools down? Or am I better off on the low side for the diffs and TC so there's no aeration in the fluids? Does ATF expand more than other fluids like motor oil and gear fluid?

Fill them to what the manual says when cold ... then don't mess with them when hot because the fluids will expand when hot.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
On my escalade transfer case, I drain and fill when cold and call it a day.

What I had been doing also. But it was significantly higher hot. Its ATF, Im thinking maybe it should be measured like the transmission. Not running but expanded hot. Nothing in manual about expansion

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Per the manual for my 2006 Escalade:

The front and back diff fluid should be approx 5/8" below the filler plug hole.

The Transfer case should be filled with "enough lubricant to raise the level
to the bottom of the filler plug hole".

So thats what I did. Today I decided to check levels of all 3 hot. The diffs remained in spec, but the transfer case literally squirted hot Dex III out of the filler plug hole. When it slowed I put the plug back in and measured what came out. Approx 5 ounces. Should I refill after it cools down? Or am I better off on the low side for the diffs and TC so there's no aeration in the fluids? Does ATF expand more than other fluids like motor oil and gear fluid?

yes only fill/measure T-case/manual transmissions that spec ATF when cold unless otherwise specified.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
... Or am I better off on the low side for the diffs and TC so there's no aeration in the fluids

I know where you are coming from, but the worry on aeration is invalid.
As others said, check at cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Is That 06 Escalade The full time 4wd model ?

Yes, its AWD with a BW4481 transfer case. Can't turn it off..

I need to service my moms 2012 Escalade Diffs and t-case. I'm wondering which fluids to use ? This SUV has the full time AWD as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back