yearly oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
is FL820S good for 1 years oil change with mobil 1 5w20, my terminator 03 having 600whp, mabe 1000 miles or 2000 miles a years driving. or Mobil 1 oil filter, Fram ultra

Not a thing wrong the 820S for that amount of miles.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Bud
Not a thing wrong the 820S for that amount of miles.

Except for them tearing...

Now I wish I had cut open a few of the many 820 filters I had used on my last ford truck. By golly I might have found a torn one in the 200,000 miles I used them for.

I would go with the Mobil 1 oil filter. Especially if you plan to really push or drive very hard with your car. The filter case thickness is a lot stronger with the Mobil 1 oil filter versus the other two. Fram has a racing oil filter with a fair amount thicker can version. It still has very good efficiency 95% @ 20 microns. That would be a very choice as well for a circumstance of very hard/fast driving.

The FL820S can tear under the right circumstances. In this case the mileage is not the issue but the 1 year could be. It is all about how much condensation the media comes in contact with. If the 1000 or 2000 miles is done on drives sufficient for the sump to come up to the boiling point, then the condensation will be driven off. If the 1000 or 2000 miles is done with a blizzard of short trips then the condensation is not driven off and a tear might result. A filter with a synthetic blend media or even a full synthetic filter would be the safer option in my view for a 1 year OCI / FCI.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
is FL820S good for 1 years oil change with mobil 1 5w20, my terminator 03 having 600whp,

A 2003 Mustand SVT Cobra Terminator had stock 390 hp, 390 ft lbs of torque, and 8 PSI of boost. Yours has apparently been worked on to increase output 54% over stock, to your claimed 600HP. WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU RUNNING 5W20!!?? If there ever was an incorrect oil for its application, THIS IS IT!

Get some 0W40 in that thing and save those bearings. The newer Trac pack and BOSS 302 cars even recommend 5W30 and yours has far more horsepower.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The newer Trac pack and BOSS 302 cars even recommend 5W30 and yours has far more horsepower.

I think you mean 5w-50.

I've been using the FL820S for years without issue. I have an old one on the work bench waiting to be cut open to look. I just took it off my Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back