Filter drain shiny stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you ever notice shiny stuff when you drain a used oil filter? Twice now on two different cars my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 V8 and my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 V6 when removing the used filter into the pan that is all plastic with a hole in the center as the oil comes out of the filter and drips down to the pan hole I see glitter? Metal? Dirt? Both? Anyway when I cut the filters upen they always look clean. Anyone here ever notice this?

I notice shiny metal changing my front diff fluid. Slow death happening. But in the engine, the only thing I see in the pan is what looks like sand occasionally. Its carbon I think. Old dehydrated carbon specs. It crushes between your fingers

Only once in engine oil. I suspect he ADB valve in the filter allowed leakage as evidenced by the start up rattle. Bits from the timing chain? Sparkles seen in a manual transmission fluid drain shortly after buying the car.

Everything that anyone says is speculation until an oil analysis is done.

BTW, as far as "what you see" when you cut a filter open, about 40 microns is the limit of human visibility, and particles less than half that size are wear particles. You can't tell Jack Squat except if the filter is torn; and your eyeball is certainly NOT elemental analysis.

Sleep well, sweet dreams.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Everything that anyone says is speculation until an oil analysis is done.

BTW, as far as "what you see" when you cut a filter open, about 40 microns is the limit of human visibility, and particles less than half that size are wear particles. You can't tell Jack Squat except if the filter is torn; and your eyeball is certainly NOT elemental analysis.

Sleep well, sweet dreams.

This!

If you can see metal bits, I’d start looking at FilterMags that fit your spin-on oil filter,
I’ve been using them 3 years now plus other tricks to get as much wear metal out of the oil
so it does not recirculate and cause more wear! The Pics in this PDF are the kind of results
I’m getting today! I wish I thought of it sooner!

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW ‘
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back