S-10 suspension refurb. - best parts & source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is my 98 S-10 ZR2, owned since new. My tires have aged out, and my wheels need a new coating of clear.

When I steer to do a lot of maneuvering, I get a lot of popping. The grease boots don't hold grease all that well anymore either. So I'm considering just doing a full refurbishment of the front end.

Any recommendations on brands of parts (mood problem solver vs dealer vs delco available online vs Beck Arnley, etc.)?

Also since the ZR2 package is somewhat different, any recommendation on best source for price and info?

Thanks!

You've gotten almost twenty years of service from the OEM parts, as I have also, including a period where the truck was, literally, driven like it was stolen.

Sounds like a good endorsement for OEM, if still available.

Originally Posted By: Win
You've gotten almost twenty years of service from the OEM parts

Yep...I had a 2001 Blazer and sold it with 250k miles. Still had the original steering and suspension parts.

What do you mean by full refurb? As in everything with a joint, or shocks also, or full control arm replacement to get fresh bushings? Also check the rag joint on your steering shaft and consider replacing it with a u-joint. That will really improve your steering feel.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
What do you mean by full refurb?

I think he means replacement. However that would be throwing parts at it.
I would put the truck on jack stands and get under the truck while someone turned the wheel and tried to pin-point where the the popping is coming from....then replace those parts.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment from Rock Auto. The same OEM dealer parts at Rock Auto prices
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
ACDelco GM Original Equipment from Rock Auto. The same OEM dealer parts at Rock Auto prices
smile.gif

I don't think they offer OE parts for these. Sadly, the R series' options are even more limited.

I would look into replacing the ball joints and bushings.

If you could confirm the AC delco stuff now is the same as what was on it from new, I'd do that. That being said, if AC Delco has outsourced brands for something worse over the years, I might avoid it. I'd probably go Moog Problem solver and maybe even look into just getting bushings and having them pressed into the existing control arms. Might be a good way to make sure you get quality parts.

The popping in the steering- my Liberty had that and it ended up being the steering rack. Got a Napa reman one. So far so good in a year/15k miles.

AC Delco is a GM-affiliated aftermarket parts brand just like Motorcraft is to Ford. They are not OEM parts. Probably high (or 'high enough') quality, but they are not OEM.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
AC Delco is a GM-affiliated aftermarket parts brand just like Motorcraft is to Ford. They are not OEM parts. Probably high (or 'high enough') quality, but they are not OEM.

Not entirely true.

ACDelco has three lines: Advantage, Professional, and GM Original Equipment. The Advantage (disadvantage) line is the cheap low-quality garbage. The Professional line is mid-grade aftermarket parts. And finally, GM Original Equipment is exactly what it sounds like, OEM.

Of course, GM may have stopped supplying OEM parts by now, but some are still available.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Not entirely true.

ACDelco has three lines: Advantage, Professional, and GM Original Equipment. The Advantage (disadvantage) line is the cheap low-quality garbage. The Professional line is mid-grade aftermarket parts. And finally, GM Original Equipment is exactly what it sounds like, OEM.

Of course, GM may have stopped supplying OEM parts by now, but some are still available.

It may be worth a call to the dealer or a quick search on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: Win
You've gotten almost twenty years of service from the OEM parts, as I have also, including a period where the truck was, literally, driven like it was stolen.

Sounds like a good endorsement for OEM, if still available.

True. Question is if OE is truly still available, and if offerings such as Delco OEM truly are.

Or if other makers' parts truly are better. Do moog problem solver parts really do so?

Usually I buy suspension and steering parts based on the country of origin. Personally I try to avoid parts made in China and India.

Rock auto has many options to choose from. I went w Moog problems solvers when I did my previous s10 and other chevy trucks. Zero problems

It would be interesting to order one Rock Auto AC Delco part and compare it against the same part at the dealer. Maybe try a tie rod end or a ball joint?

RockAuto does have OEM Delco parts - it will say so in the description if it is. I have puchased the EXACT dealer part from rockauto for less than my GM discount!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back