Finally happened to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving my WRX home from the gun show this am, car running great as usual, left out of the valley up the big hill my car started to make a horrible sound. It sounded like front left but radiating - sounds like brakes. Like an 82 Chevy with no brake pads. My pads are still relatively fat. AMAZINGLY LOUD. Stop. Nothing dragging under car, nothing loose. Nothing blown up. No lights.

I proceed the mile home. Jack front left up (I really love my aluminum jack) - Rotating wheel by hand - causes the sound. Pop the wheel off. I was right on the front left wheel. Look down behind rotor. Perfect pyramid shaped rock with base against the sheet metal inner dust shield and apex tip on pyramid phonograph needling the rotor surface (think about it) . Perfect sound amplifier. SO loud! Good news the rock knocked right out. I suppose in a few more miles it would have fallen out. Oddly no detectable scratch on the rotor.

First thing that popped in mind when I heard the horrible sound? How much is this gonna cost!! Hahaha. I have read about this happening to people before. Sort of poo-pooed it.

Many will say, "Go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day".

I say DO NOT because you just had your good luck. ...instant pay-off too.

There should be a "happy story" thread.

I'm going to start a "Happy Story" thread in General and Off Topic right now. Kira

Glad it was a free fix! Happened to me before, it fell out when I backed up.

Had it another time landing an airplane - locked up the wheel, flattened the tire and made things exciting for a bit.

I had a 2003 4x4 Tahoe with 16" wheels (really GM?) and without fail on trips to Montana I would have to remove one of the wheels to pull a rock out which was caught between the wheel and brake caliper. After this happening multiple times on the same tip, I upgraded the wheels and tires to 17" and problem was solved. Both of my vehicles these days have 20" wheels so no possibility of trapped rocks.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Not even BIG rocks?
Nope, never happened again after I upgraded to 17". The Tahoe only had about 5/16" clearance with 16" wheels.

I had the same problem driving down a dirt road once.

Every thing was going fine when all of a sudden I heard a LOUD rubbing sound.
I pulled over and looked under the vehicle and saw NO problems.

I figured since every thing looked good, I'd keep driving (and worrying).
I drove about 1/2 mile and the noise kept getting louder and more frequent.

Finally, I heard a LOUD moan, and then every thing was quiet.

I figured the noise was a stone, but not really sure where it was.
Like the OP, it must of been stuck between the rotor and backing plate.

Great job figuring it out so quickly. It could very well have stayed in and caused more damage, too, right? It could also have BEEN something worse, so really good on you for inspecting so quickly.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Many will say, "Go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day".

I say DO NOT because you just had your good luck. ...instant pay-off too.

Funny, I always think the same thing when I hear people say that!

My wife's E39 5er seemed to pick up a rock jut about once a month; a half-mile gravel driveway doesn't help.

You seem to have a history with rocks Pablo.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Pablo but important things first how was the Gun show?

If its anything like the shows around here, nothing but beef jerky and Nazi memorabilia.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My wife's E39 5er seemed to pick up a rock jut about once a month; a half-mile gravel driveway doesn't help.

And I've had it happen twice on my 2000 528i too. Never had it happen on any other vehicle. Seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back