Frozen "coolant" advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have a Kubota D722 that was supplied with water in the cooling system rather than coolant!

The engine sat on its delivery pallet for a year and we had cold weather (-6 deg c) for a month or so.

I believe the engine was only half full of water but it still did some damage. It popped one core plug out and cracked the thermostat housing. As its a cast iron engine, I ran it up to temp today to see if I could see any issues. Apart from the leaking thermostat housing, it ran fine. I drained the oil and it has no coolant in it. I had to pull the head off to replace the thermostat housing and found some marks that concern me.

This engine has 0 hours on it and is new apart from some idling. There are these marks on the front and back of the bore:

This mark is slightly above the core plug that popped out:

The engine runs fine and has good compression. Thoughts on what I should do?

Looks like the bores got a bit rusty while it sat, and that's now coming off quicker on the loaded side. I wouldn't worry about it, just run it unless you want to re-hone the cylinders and put new rings in it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Looks like the bores got a bit rusty while it sat, and that's now coming off quicker on the loaded side. I wouldn't worry about it, just run it unless you want to re-hone the cylinders and put new rings in it.
Agree; though if it were mine, I would probably do two short OCIs on the oil to dump the extra wear metals that will likely be generated from the rust.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Is that a crack in the liner in the second picture?

Hard to tell, even zoomed in. It may just be a rust line from where the piston was parked, or it could, as you've noted, be a crack. If it is a crack, the engine is scrap, so hopefully it is just rust. The OP could try rubbing it clean with some oil on a rag.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes the second picture is the one I am worried about. That mark is opposite the core plug that popped out. Rubbing it with clean oil does not change its appearance. I cannot feel the mark at all.

This engine is designed to have liners replace, so I suppose I could get somebody to put some new liners into it?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds like a warranty claim with your supplier!

Ugh, engine was supplied 2 years ago and they have long since gone bust!

Originally Posted By: alexanderfitu

Yes the second picture is the one I am worried about. That mark is opposite the core plug that popped out. Rubbing it with clean oil does not change its appearance. I cannot feel the mark at all.

This engine is designed to have liners replace, so I suppose I could get somebody to put some new liners into it?

What if you hit it with a piece of scotchbrite?

What if you hit it with a piece of scotchbrite?

No change, unfortunately.

That's concerning, because generally if it is rust, you'll be able to change its appearance. A crack on the other hand.... you won't.

That's concerning, because generally if it is rust, you'll be able to change its appearance. A crack on the other hand.... you won't.

ahh, I see!

I think this is a crack. Its location opposite the core plug is not coincidental I believe.

ahh, I see!

I think this is a crack. Its location opposite the core plug is not coincidental I believe.

Then you'll likely need to get that liner, but preferably all of them, replaced. As if that one has experienced damage from the freeze event, the odds of the others being out-of-round is higher. I would not expect a huge price difference to do them all but I could be wrong, LOL

Ouch. Those are great engines, sad to see such a preventable failure so early on. I've seen many examples over 10k hours still running, and the companies I've worked for that used them (always in Lincoln welders/genset), really beat them up with little or no maintenance other than fixing what breaks. The radiators always crack eventually (not sure if that's specific to the engine though) but they're bulletproof otherwise.

Definitely take it somewhere and have that liner magnafluxed, that'd be my first step before I ran it further.

You really are up Schmidt creek without a paddle on this one.
If it runs fine, all you can do it run it.

This engine has 0 hours on it and is new apart from some idling.

Yeah, right. Sure.
I have a bridge for sale, cheap.

This engine does NOT have replaceable liners.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I've seen many examples over 10k hours still running,... but they're bulletproof otherwise.

I know of one with 23,000+ hours on it, humming away at 1800 RPM 24/7/365

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yeah, right. Sure.
I have a bridge for sale, cheap.

Engine was purchased with 10 hours on it, not 0. Everything I see when working on the engine makes me believe that, why are you so confident it isnt?

I would agree with you that its scrap if the liners are not replaceable (kubota service manuals state to replace the liners when below a certain limit, is this an error?)

Im not going to put it in service if its quite obviously broken, makes sense to replace it now rather than have downtime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back