Stomach flu, Hello It's Been a While !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello old nemesis, in the past you've usually chosen to come visit in winter. I'd say it's good to see you, but it's not. You make me want to puke. Although this time around for your weekend stay (thanks for picking a particularly beautiful Autumn weekend, btw) you just removed my guts lasso'd a couple steers in a rodeo with them, and put them back. Or at least that what it feels like. You're leaving today, I can see the signs and have to say that although it's a been a while, I'm not going to miss you until next time.

And the longer til next time the better !!

Sincerely,

- LR

I saw a couple weeks ago about the bug starting elsewhere in the world and that we would get an early start this season. I try to avoid crowds if possible to avoid transmission

Wife had same thing last weekend. Feeling better Monday but didn't resume workout at Y until Friday. Debilitating bug which takes a while to get over. Don't think I'll get it but that could change is the next thirty seconds. Glad you are getting better.

No idea where I picked it up. Thought was food poisoning at first but haven't had anything out of my ordinary, everything well cooked, etc. It was my fiancee who said the bug is going around in the area. We had a social engagement to attend last night at a friend's house, with horse devores (hors d'oeuvres, ha)... had to cancel. I was supposed to report this morning to help out at a church lunch/dinner... had to cancel. Spending weekend in quarantine @ home more or less, ha !!

I don't have much confidence in Flu vaccine. They make me just as sick and then a couple weeks later I get the flu anyway. I haven't had any vaccine in over twenty years now. But my wife had hers last year and a month later she got the flu anyway. No I'll pass I don't need to be sick twice.

First off: I DO NOT KNOW what I'm commenting on but I do think there's misinformation and misdiagnosis all over the place.

I don't know if a "stomach flu" is the same as the flu we get the shots (vaccinations) for.

Unwashed salad greens can give you a mild case of food poisoning. And while that hits you in the tum-tum, bad feeling slops over into body pain.

Also, a friend (14 year ambulance corpsman-NOT a doctor) assured me that flu vaccines are dead, dead, dead and rarely cause reactions.

BUT, I have heard solid people say they have gotten the flu after a vaccine so I'm NOT disregarding any poster's comments.

AND there are "developments" to every year's flu strain which limit every year's approved, mass produced vaccine formula.

So, did the OP go to a salad bar or have unwashed greens put on a sandwich by an unwashed food handler?

LoL, no dining at Chipolte, but..... I do eat a lot of the fresh spinach leaves you buy at the grocery. I buy a boutique brand called Organic Girl Good Clean Greens that is *supposedly* triple washed. But.... this hit me well beyond about 24 - 36 hours since eating my last serving of the leaves. Could it be from them? Maybe, but always thought food poisoning came on within a few hours after eating the contaminated product?

Don't hold me to this because I'm not a medical professional, but nearly all bugs like the OP describes are bacterial in nature and not "stomach flu." Flu is generally a category of illness that results in respiratory effects and general malaise.

PLEASE do elaborate if I'm incorrect. It was only a couple of years ago that I myself stopped using the term "stomach flu."

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
LoL, no dining at Chipolte, but..... I do eat a lot of the fresh spinach leaves you buy at the grocery. I buy a boutique brand called Organic Girl Good Clean Greens that is *supposedly* triple washed. But.... this hit me well beyond about 24 - 36 hours since eating my last serving of the leaves. Could it be from them? Maybe, but always thought food poisoning came on within a few hours after eating the contaminated product?

Try some homemade sour crout and kielbasa as gf was quetzal past few days. Had this in my Dutch oven yesterday and she is feeling better. Our Polish neighbors make it in crocks and it's bar none the best
smile.gif

Hard to tell how long symptoms of when food poisoning will hit you ... see below in red. And look at the table in the link below for symptom onset timing based on type of food poisoning contaminate.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/symptoms-causes/dxc-20337613

Symptoms

Food poisoning symptoms vary with the source of contamination. Most types of food poisoning cause one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

Nausea
Vomiting
Watery or bloody diarrhea
Abdominal pain and cramps
Fever

Signs and symptoms may start within hours after eating the contaminated food, or they may begin days or even weeks later. Sickness caused by food poisoning generally lasts from a few hours to several days.

My mother always talked about "stomach flu" back in the days before we had a refrigerator. I expect we actually had food poisoning from time to time.

Bloody diarrhea can be symptom of Escherichia coli (E. coli) O157 food poisoning ("hamburger disease") which can be very serious, potentially leading to kidney failure.

The symptoms of food poisoning can start from a few hours to a couple of days after consuming the offending item, depending on which organism is causing the problem.

So beware of lack of refrigeration, unwashed greens, unwashed hands, cross contamination during food preparation, dirty cutlery and dirty dishes.

While on vacation in Europe, I ate an omelet using a fork that had a bit of food stuck on it (a poor wash job I thought, but didn't want to bother the waiter who wouldn't have spoken English anyway) and was sick for 8 days. Ruined my vacation. But lesson learned.

8 days is unusually long and I should have sought medical care long before then but I was in a country where I didn't trust the medical system. A local pharmacist for example offered me an electrolyte solution containing Chloramphenicol, an antibiotic that would likely have helped but which can be quite dangerous - on rare occasion causing irreversible bone marrow failure. Yikes.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You need to wash your veggies in those Ozone cleaners, think about it, those chemicals they spray on fields ARE water resistant in 30 minutes.

like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZI03GG/ref...la-307287444936
The poisons are absorbed into the plant. Like Round up ready crops the round up is absorbed into the plant that is how round up works so you end up eating lots of Round up.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The poisons are absorbed into the plant. Like Round up ready crops the round up is absorbed into the plant that is how round up works so you end up eating lots of Round up. [/quote]

Holy [censored], I didn't know that. Another reason to select only organically grown vegetables IF possible.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The poisons are absorbed into the plant. Like Round up ready crops the round up is absorbed into the plant that is how round up works so you end up eating lots of Round up.

Holy [censored], I didn't know that. Another reason to select only organically grown vegetables IF possible. [/quote]

That is the way Roundup works....If the veggies you're eating have been sprayed with Roundup....
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Don't hold me to this because I'm not a medical professional, but nearly all bugs like the OP describes are bacterial in nature and not "stomach flu." Flu is generally a category of illness that results in respiratory effects and general malaise.

PLEASE do elaborate if I'm incorrect. It was only a couple of years ago that I myself stopped using the term "stomach flu."

^^ this.
there is no such thing as stomach flu.flu is an upper respiratory tract infection. stomach flu is just a phrase used to describe nausea, possible cramps/pain, possible fever, possible vomiting, just general malaise.it's mainly an abdominal issue. many times, it is due to ingesting something bad/spoiled/undercooked, or unsanitary conditions.

I laugh when I hear anyone, over the age of about twelve,say that the flu shot gave them the flu.it's impossible, yet you still hear some state this. hilarious.the shot does give protection, but doesn't mean that you will not get it.it puts the odds in your favor, period.

I hope that we have the annual anti-vaxxer threads appear next month, and through the winter. but,I don't recall any of these last year.these are always among the best drama queen threads, and are always comical.i can't wait for those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back