Using a 5 gal bucket as a used oil container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buck91
Check the little triangle on the bottom, what type of plastic? Both my Home Depot and Menards buckets show type 2 which is HDPE and should be quite robust.

I just checked. It is HDPE type 2.
Apparently, not robust enough.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Kitty litter bottles rock for used oil storage. Wide neck, large capacity, thick enough to hold the weight.

Those do work well.
I could use those as default containers, although we buy our cat litter in bulk, in the square plastic buckets or cardboard boxes.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
I use old 5 gallon buckets that held Mobil Delvac 1300 and DM atf.

That is what I was trying to emulate, as I like the bucket setup. It is more stable to pour in than the jugs.
If I can find a bucket that will hold up.

I just use a gas can. The one I use is one of the old steel 5 gallon round type cans but even a red 5 gallon plastic type work.
Write used motor oil in it in permanent marker and now it's approved.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Kitty litter bottles rock for used oil storage. Wide neck, large capacity, thick enough to hold the weight.

This is what I have been using for years. Get a cat today everybody.
grin2.gif

Kitty litter ( the plain stuff ) iv very guud to use for floor sweep , to absorb such spills & tou have the container left over when you are done .

However , I buy it cheap in paper sacks / bags , at one of the dollar stores .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Jerry can. Perfect for used oil storage. Only thing, when you take can to have it dumped be sure the cap is securely attached using something to back up the chain most cans come with.

I picked up 2 - 3 jerry cans free . But they have rust inside , so I have never used them for gas . For waste oil , would not matter & the oil might " kill " the rust .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted By: Donald
Find a friend with a cat and get old 2 or 3 gallon jugs they bought cat litter in. Nice wide screw top.

I have an endless supply even though I encourage my cat to go out.

Cat are good mousers if your in need of a mouser.

As long as you do not feed them too much .

Best wishes , :)

What's wrong with putting it back on an empty 5Qt oil jug?

I save my old ones and refill them with old oil-marked profusely of course and stored separately from the fresh ones. When I take them to the shop I drop my used oil at ( they heat with it) I just leave the jugs there. No waiting for them to drain them, no mess to carry back with me and they recycle them with their fluid containers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
What's wrong with putting it back on an empty 5Qt oil jug?

For when oil comes in 1 qt bottles.

The big kitty litter buckets with the handle work perfect.

Make friends with a cat person.

I keep 2-3 of them in the garage at all times for used oil storage.

I use an empty citty litter bottle, the ones that lok like a 2 gal container.

Has worked for me over the past 10 years.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
ask a local painter for some empty buckets. me being a professional painter, i have more than enough buckets. they work good. and seal tight.

This is going to be the new bucket.
Picked one up from curbside castoffs that had contained 5 gallons of Behr deck sealant.
Hopefully this one won't leak.

It sounds to me that you just got a bad bucket. Typically 5 gallon paint, oil, or degreaser buckets will last for years. I just wouldn't leave them outside, as the weather will rapidly degrade them.

Lubricating oils are routinely sold in 5 gal pails.

No different than the buckets one buys from a box home improvement store.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The big kitty litter buckets with the handle work perfect.

Make friends with a cat person.

I keep 2-3 of them in the garage at all times for used oil storage.

I have two of these. I've used the same two for 20 years. I take mine and dump them at AZ a couple of times a year.

I have a 5 gallon pail with a tight lid. But it only holds one oil change for my friend Neil's freightliner based motor home!

Usually we use our leftover gallon jugs from chemicals we buy for our business...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
its illegal here to use those. Has to be an approved oil container. If not they refuse you.

Then it goes into the fire pit, and the environmental laws just defeated themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back