AR cleaning kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I do not enjoy cleaning my guns. To each his own.

I'm the same way. I enjoyed it when I was younger. Now it's become a necessary evil. I don't like doing it. But I like filthy weapons even less.

I use an Otis pull through cord kit. Have found the Otis 3 inch patches cut in half are about the right size when pulling through the barrel. Boretech Eliminator and alternating dry patches works well, then I store with Breakfree CLP in the bore.

For the lug recess area I usually stuff a 3 inch patch in there and work it around with a 90 degree pick.

Everywhere else gets wiped and cleaned as needed, then oiled before going back into the safe.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Just ordered my first AR, but far from my first firearm. I have a fairly comprehensive Hoppes cleaning kit which I've used for my long arms for years now. Any mandatory cleaning accessories for the AR platform? Looks like pipe cleaners and a bore snake are pretty commonly used.

As mentioned the chamber brush to clear debris in the barrel extension. Beyond that, keeping an AR lubricated rather than spotlessly clean is how to keep them running w/o drama.

I volunteer at orientation for a local rifle match. I have seen numerous AR15s that were too dry to run. Adding some lubricant made them work again. I've yet to see an AR that was too dirty with powder fouling to work.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
I volunteer at orientation for a local rifle match. I have seen numerous AR15s that were too dry to run. Adding some lubricant made them work again.

THIS. I would hazard to guess that a full 80% of AR15 rifles I come into contact at the range have no or little lubrication on them.

This is NOT your fathers bolt action that needs a light coat. Throw some oil on that thing.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
bsmithwins said:
I volunteer at orientation for a local rifle match. I have seen numerous AR15s that were too dry to run. Adding some lubricant made them work again.

Lubrication by far is the most important thing one can do to ensure a properly functioning firearm. Anyone who runs the [censored] out of guns regularly quickly figures this out.

This is why I use bearing grease on guns, it stays put better than gun oil, based on my experiences.

Lubrication by far is the most important thing one can do to ensure a properly functioning firearm. Anyone who runs the [censored] out of guns regularly quickly figures this out.

This is why I use bearing grease on guns, it stays put better than gun oil, based on my experiences.

Absolutely.

I use redline cv2 on many of mine. Use it for BCG break-in lube on new ar builds, but after a hard days work (500+ rounds) it turns into a groaty black tar substance in the upper and on the BCG on DI setups, so I don't reapply after initial clean up/inspection after break in.

I like it for gas piston rigs though. Stays clean

Originally Posted By: Seventh

Absolutely.

I use redline cv2 on many of mine. Use it for BCG break-in lube on new ar builds, but after a hard days work (500+ rounds) it turns into a groaty black tar substance in the upper and on the BCG on DI setups, so I don't reapply after initial clean up/inspection after break in.

I like it for gas piston rigs though. Stays clean

No doubt red grease will suspend dirt and gunk, but I've never had it take a gun down. I don't cake it on either though. A slightly greasy coating has allows done me right. But, whatever works for you, keep doing it. Just keep it lubed up.

I joined the US ARMY at age 19 as an 11 Bravo, Basic Infantry. 4 years into my 8 year contract I added another MOS as a 12 Bravo, Combat Engineer. I learned A LOT in the military! I grew up in the military! My whole outlook on life as I knew it before the military was swept under a rug and a new, smarter, well educated soldier/human being emerged. I was trained/taught to keep ALL small arms clean, lubricated, and ready for action at ALL times. That also went double for ALL artillery as well. And, let's not forget about our earth moving equipment, along with ALL personnel moving equipment. All of my firearms are cleaned, lubricated, and stored safely until needed again. It's the way I was trained/taught, it's the way I will continue to do so!
"Mess With The Best, Die Like The Rest!" US ARMY
HOOAH!
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back