Would you prefer all trans pans have a drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Having a ATF pan drain plug, a torque converter drain plug and a spin on filter would take away all that overpriced business from dealers and 'service' joints. It would mean that ordinary folks could save money, learn a bit more about their vehicle, how it operates, and appreciate the mechanical marvel that it has become.

Naaaaaaaa .........................

Yes- your right. But it still wouldn't motivate the vast majority of people (other than those on here) to crawl under their car. Most owners know where the gas nozzle goes-and quite frankly that's all they care about. Since leased cars are approaching 50% of "sales"-let's at least hope the manufacturers recommendations are being followed for maintenance.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I too have my eye on a new tranny pan with a drain plug from Summit Racing for my GMC with 6L80E.

I hear based on where the cross beam and exhaust is that isn't an easy job-to drop the pan or certainly put a different one on.

Just FYI.

Yep. Great engineering there by someone who will never try to do it. I've perused several chevy/gmc forums to see how others have coped with this problem. One poster used a floor jack and fed a strap over the pipe and under the jack. He gently raised the frame up while pulling down the cross-over pipe at the same time until he had just enough room to remove the rear part if the pan. He said it worked fine with no damage to the pipe. I might try this first before hassling with loosening the bolts. Not sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: CKN
Yes- your right.

I think you meant, you're above. You're is short for "you are". So if "you are" wouldn't sound correct in a sentence then it's safe to say "your". For instance, your truck is white.

http://writingexplained.org/your-vs-youre-difference

Also:

More Links

Yep-I talked about this in another thread-my number one grammar mistake! Thanks for the links.

When my wife points it out to me (ex-school teacher) she doesn't provide links!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Yes. Plus a plug for the torque converter and a spin on filter.

This!

And a freaking dip-stick.
mad.gif

Would changing atf fluid make a transmission last a long time? Mines an aisin in a camry.

Originally Posted By: bernau
Would changing atf fluid make a transmission last a long time? Mines an aisin in a camry.
Well the A541E trans in Camrys of decades to a decade ago was long lived and tolerated benign neglect.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I'd like a drain plug, but I'd drop the pan anyway! That's where the junk is and a semi-plugged filter
at least on GMs.

Since internal filters are on the pick up side/(suction)side, any significant material in the filter
effects pump operation - and therefore shift quality, enough to set a Tranny code and do damage!

Yes, but with a plug you can get the bulk of the fluid out before dropping the pan and making a mess (or as said above, add a spin on filter and drain plug and transmissions would last forever).

I wonder if spin-on transmission filters are on the suction side or pressure side of the oil pump? Pressure, I'd say ??

I did my own set up - so yes the 20 micron spin on is on pressure side right after the cooler I added. Again, the pan was spotless in 3 years - and I changed the rock catcher while pan was off. And I was not covered in ATF due to grain plug. My pan does not leak and I don't warp it with repeated removals. I could probably leave it five years doing drain and spin on yearly. I did toss nylon washer for these copper washers:

Yes, I prefer drain plugs. All of my cars have (or will have) transmission drain plugs, although I'm not sure if the Escalade does; I haven't crawled underneath it to check yet. The Accord doesn't have a removable pan or filter, just a drain plug. I have a Dorman replacement pan with a drain plug that I'm going to install on the Ranger. I have a fancy Mag-Hytec pan that has a drain plug that I'm going to install on the Bronco (the Bronco also has a torque converter drain). The CR-V has a manual trans so it has just a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back