Ford PTU gear oil life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on PTU temps. Nice long drive, about and hour out and an hour back with a couple hours parked in between. Ambient temps in the mid 90's. PTU temp remained steady, was surprised that the trans ran so hot despite no toe load. My f150 runs the atf right on the thermostat even when towing. Screen shot at the end.of the return drive.

I'm sure ptu temps can exceed this with hard drving and especisly towing, but this was a great example of fully warmed up cruising in hot summer weather. Given the ptu oil temp in the 190's I would fully expect a quality synthetic to handle this. Perhaps there is more going on mechanically than we thought, or the 18oz capacity is just grossly inadequate.

Last edited:
Jeez does TFT 202F refers to trans temp and TCFT 192F refers to PTU temp ?
Ok, PTU has ASG 75W140 in this Explorer ... what about oil type in trans ?

Correct. Tft, trans fluid temp, seems high to me and it's running oe Motorcraft mercon lv. It is intended to run not, and like I said has a thermostat in the cooler circuit for something like 190-195f but I would have hoped to see it run against that thermostat when not towing.

Last edited:
203*F isn't too hot compared to the engine temp. Driving conditions play a huge role too.. Were you in stop and go traffic?

That and 18 ounces total - and folks claim about 15 ounces drain ...
Being so close to exhaust is not helping either - the section of pipe we moved had a flimsy piece of aluminum bonded to the pipe - no air gap. That's why I used the header wrap.

The Trans fluid on my Fusion Sport is maintained at the ECT because coolant is routed to the top of the trans before the external thermostat. Mercon LV routinely runs at this temp, whether it is the 6F55 or 6R80. On my 2014 sHO, it doesn't use this cooling setup and instead relies on an external thermostat only. So my TFT can drop to 160 to 180F in the winter time.

On the police and PP ecoboost PtUs, the cooler reduced the temps by like 20F to 40F, running about 250F or higher. I read Ford had a change in 2014 and in 2015 related to the thrust washer on some idler gears inside the PTU. Seeing how there are still model year 2016s with PTU failures, those fixes didn't work. I read Ford had a change in June 2016 that prevents the gears from walking into the case. So the proof in the p udding would be to see if there are any PTU failures for MY2017 and beyond.

From my older post:
"I saw a YouTube video review of the 2013 SHO done by Autoweek and they showed a temperature scan of the PTU with and without cooler. The integrated PTU cooler reduces the temp by 16%, with the non-cooled PTU maxing at 284F while the cooled PTU maxes out at 266F. I wouldn't say this is a huge difference at all.

The Police Interceptors have the PTU as an option, 52B, and only on the 3.5L EcoBoost models. Ford says it is recommended for EVOC training and extended track usage."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back