Motorcycle Tire Direction question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a front wheel on the motorcycle, arrow direction on the wheel is opposite to the tire. While I tried my best to make sure it's going properly, but oh well mistake happened!

Question is, can I install in the right direction of wheel and opposite direction of tire? So can tire be installed in opposite direction of it's directional arrow?

If not, no biggie and I'll just change the direction of tire!

Thanks for the advice
thumbsup2.gif

Depends if you have one rotor or two. If it has two, remove wheel slide axle back in so the arrow is on the top side of the tire facing forward, as viewed from the right side of the bike. If it only has one rotor, you mave have to unmount the tire so the arrow is the same as mentioned above.,,,

It has 2 rotors, but rotors won't slide into pads properly if I use the direction of tire. Have a look on the picture.

As you can see direction on the wheel and tire arrows are in opposite direction:

You have to push the pads back into the calipers, to get the disks back in place. It will probably be easier to remove the calipers , put the wheel and axle in, tighten the axle nuts, then slide the calipers over the discs.,,

Some wheels have the rotors offset slightly from one side to the other, so the wheel can't be installed running backwards. IIRC, your R1 is one of the wheels. Some wheels are also directional in consideration of other design factors, as are some rotors.

As for the tire, there's water clearing, but there's also the tread splice to consider. The tire's integrity is better rolling in the direction it was designed to. Especially if you plan to ever use that R1's capability.

If it were me, I'd take the tire off and re-mount it correctly.

Last edited:
That is to say that if the wheel is installed backwards, on some bikes the wheel will be offset, thus the rotors will be offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back