Euro Cars Used to be Very Reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Speak2Mountain said:
...... but reliable? No. Not even close.

Base model 2004 Jaguar Xj8 bought new for my wife - Rattley seat belt tensioner and slow fuel quantity sender replaced under warranty. I replaced the OEM battery this Spring. Need to re glue one spot on the headliner. Seems reliable enough to me, for a now thirteen year old car.

I had a VeeDub and a Honda, neither was reliable or durable, the Honda in particular. In fairness, both were basically cheap cars, although both were top of the line in their model range.

I would still consider a German or Japanese car if they made anything that interested me. But they don't.

Originally Posted By: Win
Speak2Mountain said:
...... but reliable? No. Not even close.

Base model 2004 Jaguar Xj8 bought new for my wife - Rattley seat belt tensioner and slow fuel quantity sender replaced under warranty. I replaced the OEM battery this Spring. Need to re glue one spot on the headliner. Seems reliable enough to me, for a now thirteen year old car.

I had a VeeDub and a Honda, neither was reliable or durable, the Honda in particular. In fairness, both were basically cheap cars, although both were top of the line in their model range.

I would still consider a German or Japanese car if they made anything that interested me. But they don't.
Of course there's always a random one that's decent.

As a whole, no, they aren't reliable. If you plotted the repair costs, true cost of ownership, number of problems cars have, European cars as a whole would not do good.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Euro Cars Used to be Very Reliable
They never were and they aren't now, what are you talking about?

They can make some magnificent machines, don't get me wrong. Comfortable, good looking, great performing, but reliable? No. Not even close.

Again, I cite the simple BMWs of the 1990s. About the only real mod-con my BMW has is climate control (and even then its only automatic temperature and has analogue controls). Although it must be said, with regular maintenance most vehicles should go the distance; whether the electronic gimmicks do too is another question entirely.

Most cars have weak-spots, but I can't say any work I've done is anything but routine. You can't say "no European car was ever reliable," because plenty of them evidently were - I see more 90s BMWs around than I do domestic makes (these existed in plague proportions in the past).
Having experienced the domestic competitors of my 3-series: There is no comparison in quality. My vehicle's interior is still intact, without squeaks and rattles. The engine is good, as is the transmission. Meanwhile, Falcons of the 90s were plagued with head gasket issues that took over a decade for Ford to rectify, and neither Fords or Holdens were ever put together that well. Neither had particularly good fuel economy. Both types had decent power-trains, overall, but were let down in various ways.

Parts for BMWs in Australia are ludicrously expensive. In this day and age though, one needn't fuel price gouging. Purchasing online can mean prices just 1/5 of what is asked locally. While I certainly agree with "supporting the little guys," if they want to charge 5x the price of U.S. outlets (after currency exchange), they can get stuffed.

Yep. E34 BMW's have legendary reliability. Had a 95 525i 5 speed. Sold with 200k miles very few issues.Clutch, starter, radiator around 170-190k. That was about it. E36's still many around with crazy miles. I still own my 98 328i. Still drives great with a few small interior plastic parts failing but cheap in these days of internet new/used parts. E46/E39 was the beginning of the end for BMW reliability.

..... Of course there's always a random one that's decent.

I expect the good ones of all marques outnumber the bad ones by a pretty large margin.

Unless we're talking about Italian cars - I didn't have the guts to get her a Quattroporte.

Originally Posted By: B320i

than I do domestic makes (these existed in plague proportions in the past).
Having experienced the domestic competitors of my 3-series: There is no comparison in quality.

It's interesting that you have that perception of your domestic marques. I've had two Holden's: Monaro and Commodore, still have the latter, and they seem to be pretty good cars - as good as anything I've owned, and I feel like I have been fortunate enough to have owned some pretty decent cars.

I would much prefer a Falcon to a BMW, but Ford didn't sell them here. The Holden's also sold poorly, so perhaps I am an outlier.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Lexus killed German brands...the Germans tried to "out electronic" the Asians and failed. There's a reason we have Sony TVs at home, not Grundig.

It hasn't killed them in sales. People still go for the BMW even thought it might have more problems.

Lexus is also the only premium Japanese brand that had some sort of success.
Infinity and Acura have not been successful and have very poor sales.

Well..

Would someone rather buy a Lexus or an Audi? Say they are both AWD with identical interiors. Leather, nav etc.

Audi, of course.

Audi actually seems a bit cheaper too.

Originally Posted By: barryh
rooflessVW said:
As a Brit I have to smile at the Lucas Lord of Darkness reputation in the US. We must have sent you all 2nd quality components because I have never in 45 years had a reliability problem with anything made by Lucas. I'll admit Lucas wasn't in the same league as Bosch for design and quality but it never let me down. For the real poor quality electrics back in the 70's I would look no further than my 1971 Ducati.

After living with a Lucas-equipped car for two years, I have to agree that the reputation for unreliability is often over-stated. Most of the electrical problems I encounter are from corroded connections(find a 50 year old car where that isn't an issue) or a previous owner's attempt to "improve" the wiring. Virtually every electrical problem I've had has been fixed by cleaning up the connections and/or reverting to the factory wiring.

There are aspects of the wiring on my car that I don't like-specifically that switches often directly control things that draw a lot of current. I put my headlights on relays, and I get the benefit of having both brighter lights and not having the wires cook my legs when the lights are on. Plus, I don't have to worry about my original switch wearing out(that I will then have to replace with a Chinese replacement and then keep replacing it every 6 months). My horns and brake lights are also on relays-the former because, again, I don't want route ~5A through the turn signal stalk-and the latter because the junk Chinese replacement parts don't last.

I actually go out of my way to find NOS Lucas parts because they're better than the replacements I can get these days.

BTW, "the guy" in the US for Lucas distributors also does Bosch, although I think probably does 3 or 4 times as many Lucas distributors. His general opinion is that the Bosch distributors are better built and require less maintenance on the whole, but are also a lot more complicated to work on and ultimately less adaptable for non-stock applications than Lucas. He did re-design the 25D breaker plate to correct what he perceived as some deficiencies in the design, but overall considers both the 25D and 45D to be a fundamentally sound design that with a little bit of maintenance(like oiling the mechanical advance mechanism ever 15K miles or so, or every few years) will run a long time.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
the only reliable European car I can think of is the Volvo 240
lol.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
We had an Acura and loved it. I'd look at one now if I needed a new car but no local dealer.
What does an Acura have to do with European cars?

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
We had an Acura and loved it. I'd look at one now if I needed a new car but no local dealer.
What does an Acura have to do with European cars?

The discussion had gone to Lexus and Acura compared to the modern Euro makers. Should have quoted the part of the discussion I was referencing I reckon.

Here in the UK, WarrantyDirect publish a Reliability Index for all car manufacturers based on warranty repairs that pass through their books.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer/relIndex

The top six places go to Japanese cars with little Daihatsu taking the number one position (owned a Daihatsu Sirion for seven years. Brilliant car!). Suzuki (who made my current car) take the number three spot (hoorah!).

Some Euro cars are okay but some are appalling (eg Audi, Porsche, Maserati).

I'm sure some were. My Question is : What about now? Or the past 15 years for that matter ? I know my experience here is only a small sample but based on the friends & Associates of our family I have to say : Nein danke : Not to mention automotive forums are littered with this common advice about long term ownership : "Lease or own up until the warranty expiration date & then run for the hills". : Ouch : Makes me want to open a chain of Euro-haus Repair shops. $$$ : Even more disturbing, Based on sales figures people couldn't care less.

As I noted in another thread; I bought a 2004 X3 2.5i in December of 2005 and kept it for 11 years, 5 months. If I had leased a car at $550/month(with no money down) or bought a new car every four years during that period-to make sure my vehicle was always covered under warranty-I would have spent up to $32,000 more than the actual depreciation and service/repair costs(including three sets of tires) of the X3. And note that I changed oil at 8.000 mile intervals, ATF at 60,000 intervals, and coolant every 3-4 years.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Here in the UK, WarrantyDirect publish a Reliability Index for all car manufacturers based on warranty repairs that pass through their books.

The top six places go to Japanese cars with little Daihatsu taking the number one position (owned a Daihatsu Sirion for seven years. Brilliant car!). Suzuki (who made my current car) take the number three spot (hoorah!).

And FIAT is fifteenth out of 39. Not brilliant but way better than average.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Average is 100, FIAT is marginally above average.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Average is 100, FIAT is marginally above average.

Well yes but there are more makes below average than above and that makes it better than average (within this group).

There is that saying that average MB or BMW is closer to Ferrari then Toyota.
That being said, will always drive Euro cars. Just like the fact that they can do much more then other cars on the road. I kind of like the fact that I have actual brakes on the car, and do not need car from manufacturer telling me: when you get in accident, our car is best.
When I look Toyota, Subaru etc. commercials, everything is about: once you get in accident, you are in good hands.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Lexus killed German brands...the Germans tried to "out electronic" the Asians and failed. There's a reason we have Sony TVs at home, not Grundig.

It hasn't killed them in sales. People still go for the BMW even thought it might have more problems.

Lexus is also the only premium Japanese brand that had some sort of success.
Infinity and Acura have not been successful and have very poor sales.

Well..

Would someone rather buy a Lexus or an Audi? Say they are both AWD with identical interiors. Leather, nav etc.

Audi, of course.

I'm bias toward Lexus, but then again I'm biased toward reliability, or at least the reputation of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back