Knock sensor scanner readings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up the Forscan app to augment/replace Torque on my bluetooth reader/phone setup. Nice program. Anyways wanted to watch a few things.
F150: Misfires, pinging, trans temp
Explorer: PTU and trans temps

Noticed that while the Explorer was in the or Forscan what is a desirable range? I know there is many differences between my NA 5.0L in the truck and the EB3.5L in the Explorer but they are basically both all aluminum mills. Besides, I'd expect the turbo engine to ping more than the NA...

Not really sure where to take this. Truck is fine on power and fuel economy, though always a bit on the thirsty end of the scale. Mostly just some NVH stuff (which I have narrowed to a separate issue 99% of the time).

I'm not familiar with what the data is telling you. Is it number of events that the knock sensor is sensing? If so, then it might be almost worthless data, if it's pre-processing by the ECM. It could be phantom knock or noise that is filtered out by the ECM and not true knock.

Do you have the ability to see feedback knock correction (real time) and/or fine knock learning (long-term correction due to repeated knock events at specific load/RPM values)?

FKC and FKL, along with fuel trims (short and long-term) are the things I'd be looking at most to give you a heads up on the most common issues, such as fuel, leaks, etc.

I'm not really sure, still learning to use Forscan. Its a very robust program which goes above (way above) my head at this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back