VIRGIN ST 4386 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I decided that since I have some WIX filters for the 09' Camry of mine; and 6 FU filters and a Tough Guard and decided I'd sacrifice this filter.

Date is December 7, 2016 12:50 is time

Enjoy the pics

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Looks Great For a budget filter. Thanks for the sacrifice!

Well, seeing BluPuphers c&p ST filter while back; decided when my FRAM stuff is used up, I'll use eco guard as they are cheap at Rural King. Dad uses WIX on his 03' dakota and his 89' Ram with 5.9 Cummins. If I used a ST, it would be for 4K

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Are the eco guard filters cheaper than the ST? I don't have RK near me.

I snagged 4 ECO GUARD 4476 For $1.51 each
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice low cost oil filter.

I like lots of holes in the center tube.

Me too Mr. nice
smile.gif

I like these entry level Wix made filters. Typical stout Wix construction at a great price. Efficiency is "meh" but fine for the shorter OCI's these filters are intended for.

I prefer the Napa Silver versions...in the sizes I use I can actually get a thread end bypass on a 3 buck filter the SuperTech versions don't have thread end bypasses as far as I have seen. They all have the combo's shown here or dome end bypasses.

For example the 1516 (FL-400s equivalent) I just bought is thread end on a Silver and dome on a SuperTech.

Looks similar to the Napa proselect. Compared to most places around here, the proselect goes for about 4$ or so..other big stores sell the OCOD for 7.75$ as the cheapest filter. Great construction, the efficiency likely less than a high end filter but it does the job well.

Thanks for the C&P. looks like they consolidated 4967 and 4836 and made it the smaller version. Is it smaller than a regular fram 4386 or more like the 4967?

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Thanks for the C&P. looks like they consolidated 4967 and 4836 and made it the smaller version. Is it smaller than a regular fram 4386 or more like the 4967?

4967 is about 1" shorter than the 4386

The thing to remember with the ST filters with the combo valve is the filter element is much shorter compared to a similar size can Fram due to the length of the combo valve.

As for price, at Walmart the ST is $2.84 in stock in store.
The EcoGard is $1.86 (but must order 2 at a time) and need to wait for it to be delivered to store (2 days last time I ordered them).
$3.77 for a Fram Orange can.

These are for the ST/PH2 size filter, but prices are the same for others from what I can see.

The ST filter was going to be my go to filter, but after the last one I cut open, I am not sure sure anymore.

This particular ST application uses a combo valve but not all do. The popular ST9688 and ST3614 both use a dome bypass. And these are intended for ~5k mile max oci.

As for Ecogard some anecdotes show an issue with QC of the China made filter. As the rust in the dome of this one shows seems they may have some rust prevention issues. And for me, I don't care if it is on the "dirty side". In bypass event, that means nothing.

Thanks for c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back