15W40 Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a 15W40 oil be used in South Florida during winter months or would 5W40 be better?
It's for OPE use.

It probably won't matter, but you'll still sling/get oil to parts quicker with a 5W40 which who knows, could give you 1.25 extra acres of mowing life.
I think a diesel or Euro type 10W30 would work the best if the equipment specs a 30W.

Last edited:
Much like Texas, the average winter temperatures do not drop low enough to require a 5W-40 oil and 15W-40 will work just fine, unless you simply want to use a synthetic oil.

Air cooled ope with splash lubrication shouldn't much care. But I'd also consider a synthetic 30wt or straight 30/40.

The temperatures of south Florida versus anywhere else are not an issue compared to the temperature of combustion.

What does the manual call for?

What engine and what does the manual recommend?
I still like straight 30 for most OPE.
Many are narrow spread multi's in disguise anyway, and would be 15w or 20w30's if tested and labeled as such.

Originally Posted By: doolah02
Would a 15W40 oil be used in South Florida during winter months or would 5W40 be better?
It's for OPE use.
Curious why ask?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: doolah02
It's for OPE use.
Curious why ask?

DUH, this is BITOG..
crazy.gif

15w-40

I live in south Florida. I cant remember a time I have ever started power equipment under 65-70 degrees. I only need to mow every 3 weeks or so in the winter, and I do that when its 70-75 degrees outside during the day.

So 15W40 is fine, and a good choice. 5W40 is a waste of money, in my honest opinion.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I live in south Florida. I cant remember a time I have ever started power equipment under 65-70 degrees.

5W40 is a waste of money, in my honest opinion.

Think again....where you can profit because of the synthetic in AIRcooled OPE...

"Think again....where you can profit because of the synthetic in AIRcooled OPE..."

I've owned and still own dozens of air cooled engines including lots of two strokes for decades. Never use synthetic. If anything would need excellent lubrication it would be high revving air cooled two cycle engines and today's conventional oils are more than sufficient.

Why pay twice as much for oil for only fractions of a percentage more protection?

All 15W-40, even Super Tech, or Harvest King, or Traveller, ... will all work wonderfully in any air-cooled OPE

Originally Posted By: boraticus

"Think again....where you can profit because of the synthetic in AIRcooled OPE..."

I've owned and still own dozens of air cooled engines including lots of two strokes for decades. Never use synthetic. If anything would need excellent lubrication it would be high revving air cooled two cycle engines and today's conventional oils are more than sufficient.

Why pay twice as much for oil for only fractions of a percentage more protection?

1) my 4stroke OPE.....i have B&S 3.5 classic lawnmover (15+ years old)....and Tecumseh HMSK 100 snowthrover (20 years old).... Both consume less oil when I use synthetic oil (shell helix ultra 5w-40)....b&s has horizontal engine...if I am using cheap mineral oil there is visible blue smoke at every cold start....wich is almost gone when I put synthetic in it...yes lawnmover is well used....and therfore has most probablly slightly oval cylinder...but it still runs good and starts @ first pull
smile.gif

2) my 2stroke OPE....I have 2 chainsaws...and a trimmer....they are all high revving...and I am using them only occasionally....so I really dont care if oil is 8euros per liter...or 18euros per liter...

Since I love to care for everything that is technical at home....I dont want to be a cheapo and I always buy top end oils
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back