Diesel P/U's Coal Smoking It from Stop Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a diesel truck roal coal in a long time. If they do it's because the truck is old and probably has 400,000 miles with bad injectors or just an old [censored] that stomped on it for the first time in a month.

Yep. I think there's a lot of truth to that. One guy I saw had a truck like that and in the back window it had a sign that said, " Prius repellent".

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I guess I'm too old to find this significant. When I was a kid, every dump truck, delivery truck, and garbage truck "rolled coal".

I also remember that era here as well, even though CA is an emission state. Buses and garbage trucks all had the Detroit Diesel two-stroke diesel in them. They sounded great compared to the Cummins/Volvo motors that replace them now but they did belch smoke. If Rolls-Royce/MTU and Daimler wanted to, they could have kept building the original GM Diesel design.

The first generation of exhaust aftertreatment CARB mandated on transit buses and trash trucks gave out a small pull of smoke on acceleration.

That's interesting because a lot of old railroad equipment in service today uses screamin detroits and nearly all smoke very little if at all. I ran a piece of equipment with a 4-71 and it was under powered for the application so it was almost constantly under severe load. It smoked worse than any other detroit I saw but it was extremely slight. That engine was so loud standing next to it it sounded like it would never stay together.

I also saw a 4-71T in action and it didn't smoke either. I had no idea they had two strokes in buses.

As for rollin' coal it's pathetic. I think it makes it easy to spot the retarded grown [censored] kids. Where I moved now there are a ton of red necks who all drive trucks, the bigger the better. More than 3/4s of them can't justify owning and driving a truck with the way they use it but hey they got a big truck. I wonder if it has to do with the extremely high rates of inbreeding and low iq.

What is your sulphur level ? Smoke dropped noticably when sulphur levels were lowered here...nothing changed with the vehicles. The Nissan TD27 was one of the worse for black smoke...they are older now, and seldom smoke.

I see young punks do it quite frequently. Gotta turn that fan off quick. I will admit something here : Once upon a time when I was a young punk I used to ride a Kawasaki H1 500cc two-stroke triple. As any biker will tell you some drivers get their jollies by putting your life at risk (must be the same people that go home and beat their dogs). Whenever I had the displeasure of engaging one of these morons I would wait for the right opportunity, pull in front of their car & bury them in a thick cloud of blue smoke. Or, in more severe cases, well let's just leave that alone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Killer223
I never expected this forum to be so full of splinter lips.

What's a splinter lip?

Yes, please educate us.

I haven't heard that term used in years. Not sure what the poster's context was, but it uses to refer to people who were apt to kissing the floor when frightened.

Modern technology and duel has cut it down a lot for sure. Even my deleted trucks don't smoke. They drop some haze at full throttle, but nothing like a belch at all.

Then again, they dropped haze at full throttle even before being deleted.

Some percentage of folks driving a diesel truck have no need for a diesel except that it is cool to drive one.

Not surprisingly, that sort of driver may be likely to also think its cool to roll the coal. Even if every state passed a law prohibiting the act, with a fine if caught - I wouldn't think too many LEOs would bother to stop someone just for that violation.

The days of LEO's stopping anyone and everyone who is speeding more than a few over, driving with missing lights, neglecting turn signals, rolling stop signs, etc..... have long passed.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

The days of LEO's stopping anyone and everyone who is speeding more than a few over, driving with missing lights, neglecting turn signals, rolling stop signs, etc..... have long passed.

In cities, cops have little reason to. In the suburbs, yes.

I saw one behind me today with a huge "Browning" across the entire front windshield bordered by those deer heads. I wonder how much the Browning company is reimbursing him for all that advertising?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I see the young guys rolling coal occasionally, loud Honda Civics, loud motorcycles etc. Doesn't really bother me....not that I ever done similar things...being young and all...
wink.gif
"Loud Honda Civics" Oh heck yes. With a six inch flatulent pipe sticking out the back that looks like the business end of a gas turbine. Makes lots of noise eh ese?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In my opinion,anything that smokes is a worn out pos.

Never been around an older diesel, then? Some of them just SMOKE, brand new. Old Detroits smoke if punched at low RPMs...a 3208 Cat will smoke like a tire fire, especially cold.

Funny, most late-model Nissan Navaras (and Patrols, for that matter) practically turn the sky black when accelerating. There's a specific diesel in the late 90s/early 2000s Patrol that's particularly bad for it too.

Not much else is that bad anymore. The only vehicles I am around frequently that smoke are old (preserved) buses. Some specific examples burn oil when cold. When the old Renault PR100.2 and 180.2 vehicles were in widespread service a decade ago, wasn't uncommon to see those these giving the streets a good dose of "rolling coal."

We're not an emissions state, but the state pollution control agency has put shops on notice to not disable pollution control equipment or face massive fines.

As I pulled up form work this evening, a Civic delivering a pizza with an obviously gutted or missing cat pulled up. It stunk. And it's contributing about 50x more than me to problems like asthma, heart disease, and expensive medical care. All that costs money, and we all pay for it.

It's not too much to expect people to play by the rules.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster

It's not too much to expect people to play by the rules.

Reasonable to expect that, but then we are likely to be disappointed often in today's world.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In my opinion,anything that smokes is a worn out pos.

Never been around an older diesel, then? Some of them just SMOKE, brand new. Old Detroits smoke if punched at low RPMs...a 3208 Cat will smoke like a tire fire, especially cold.

Mercedes 240/300Ds will also blow smoke. Daimler tried to made the EPA/CARB happy by installing an DOC but that was an expensive failure. Old VW diesels smoke as well.

At least the Benz can burn WVO/biodiesel up to 100%. Can't do that in a SCR/DPF equipped diesel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Ask VW how they feel. They got hit with effectively a $21 billion dollar fine for extra diesel pollution.
Some people in this country love pollution. By extension, they must love cancer as well. Its a very strange obsession.

And the DOT is babyfooting with Honda and their Takata Claymores. I'd rather have VWs that can kill slowly than a Honda that might execute you in a crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back