Would you prefer all trans pans have a drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Yes. Plus a plug for the torque converter and a spin on filter.

What a nice dream....
smile.gif

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, almost all the Japanese cars' transmissions have a drain plug, while American automatics rarely do. Europeans are somewhere in the middle.

Fun fact: In the early 2000s, Ford and Mazda used a common 4-speed automatic on cars such as the focus and Mazda Protege and 3. The Mazdas have a drain plug, The Focus does not.
crazy2.gif

Too bad Dorman doesn't make a transmission pan for the THM125c 3-speed auto used in so many GM cars from the 80s and 90s.

They get over torqued so often either causing a leak, Damaging the thread where I can't get it to seal after a service, Or the head is rounded off making it no use to me.

DIY like I did - 20 minutes to change pan volume and filter with a good shirt on ...

I'd like a drain plug, but I'd drop the pan anyway! That's where the junk is and a semi-plugged filter
at least on GMs.

Since internal filters are on the pick up side/(suction)side, any significant material in the filter
effects pump operation - and therefore shift quality, enough to set a Tranny code and do damage!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I'd like a drain plug, but I'd drop the pan anyway! That's where the junk is and a semi-plugged filter
at least on GMs.

Since internal filters are on the pick up side/(suction)side, any significant material in the filter
effects pump operation - and therefore shift quality, enough to set a Tranny code and do damage!

Yes, but with a plug you can get the bulk of the fluid out before dropping the pan and making a mess (or as said above, add a spin on filter and drain plug and transmissions would last forever).

I run a Fram XG16 - change yearly along with pan volume. (B&M plug)
After 3 years the pan was clean and I changed the rock catcher

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I vote for drain plugs

Plus make it magnetic...

Honda does this
smile.gif

I have the Dorman pans for all my cars. $20 is a no brainer, especially if you work without a lift. The powdercoat holds up well.
Two pans looked like they were ready to seep when I replaced them.

Too bad all their products aren't such high quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Yes. Plus a plug for the torque converter and a spin on filter.
I think the same thing every time I service a trans lacking the drain plug, Torque convertor plug and a spin on filter.

The FWD's tend to have them especially when there is no pan to start with.
ATF on my Cruze is easier than changing the motor oil.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yes, but with a plug you can get the bulk of the fluid out before dropping the pan and making a mess (or as said above, add a spin on filter and drain plug and transmissions would last forever).

Unfortunately that's not the manufacturers intent!

Well since they all seem to headed for not even having dipsticks and completely sealed transmissions for the life of the car this is something I wouldn't look for happening.
Alot of people never touch the transmission fluid and it goes forever.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I vote for drain plugs

Plus make it magnetic...

Honda does this
smile.gif

Yep. My Accord has a magnetic drain plug. When I changed the fluid after I brought it home,it had absolutely no metal whatsoever on the plug. My 3000GT had a drain plug also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back