2014 Taurus low coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
No light on or anything but when I checked under the hood I noticed it was a smidge under the min line on the expansion tank. This was my Grandmother's car so it has only done short trips in the 3k miles in 3 years she owned it. Not sure of the maintenance history besides it haven been taken to a local quick lube place for an oil change about gen months ago. Bought some of the specced Motorcraft orange coolant to top it off.

Anything I should check/be worried about?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you sure it was low? Does low line actually mean cold level?

Read the manual. It has to be checked cold (which I did) and so the line is the min line.

I've read about water pump issues with this model but I hope it is something else.

Last edited:
Could be the coolant bottle. On some Fords the connector elbow for the coolant weeps coolant. The F150 is known for it and there's a kit that installs a standard hose and clamp in place of the quick connect. I bet that's what it is.

Quote:
I've read about water pump issues with this model but I hope it is something else.

Lots of Internet Drama over a minor event. Ford has millions and millions of the 3.5/3.7 in use since 2007 and failures are not common.

Just keep an eye on it and look at the bottom connector on the bottle.

Keep an eye on it and see what develops.
This car is still under warranty so if the apparent loss of coolant continues, it'll be Ford's problem and not yours.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Are you sure it was at the cold fill line previously?

I have no idea where it was to be honest. It might have been low or at the right level.

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
. I'll send the boy out tomorrow and see what it says. .

Not sure what you mean by this^^

Child labor. I meant I'd send my 14 year old out to look at it. However, reading the manual online plus some other digging answered the question for me.

Cold line is where it's supposed to be. If it's a little under no big deal, cars need topping off every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Cold line is where it's supposed to be. If it's a little under no big deal, cars need topping off every once in a while.

+1

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

But it's not the cold line, it is in fact the min line. I'm not terribly worried because I don't know how long it's taken to get low. I would like to know if there is something I should check since it is low - i.e. The seams on the plastic container.

You're fine. The level may have been low when the engine was cold, but it only went up from there once the engine is hot.

This is a bit confusing to me though.. so they want the fluid at the max level when the engine is cold?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
You're fine. The level may have been low when the engine was cold, but it only went up from there once the engine is hot.

This is a bit confusing to me though.. so they want the fluid at the max level when the engine is cold?

That is certainly the way it seems. I'll probably fill it to just beyond the min and monitor it for a bit. Engine needs a bit of a clean too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back