Do you flush your power steering system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never did until I UOA'ed the fluid in my 2010 FX4 at around 100K. A boatload of aluminum in it and it was sheared a lot (you can search for the UOA if interested). I dump mine on a new vehicle at 10K and every 50K thereafter. I have a suction gun that works great.

Turkey baster drain and fill usually every oil change. Certainly overkill, but it's part of my list of things I do on maintenance sessions.

Doing a full PS flush is super easy. On my two Sonatas I just remove the return hose from the PS resovor, plug the other hole and turn the steering wheel back and forworth. Keep refilling the resovor untill the PS in clear running throu the clean drain hose.

You need about 1 to 1.5 liter PS fluid to do the job well.

Last edited:
Recently started using turkey baster on PS & brake fluid .

Starting to do tanny fluid refreshes .

Best of luck , :)

The idea that changing it is bad is [censored], but PS fluid shouldn't need very much maintenance. Once in a while I do a turkey baster or Liquivac change, but not regularly. Never bothered with a flush. Never replaced anything but a return hose and an o-ring on my trucks.

I am a believer in trans fluid changes. My '02 Ranger has 205k on the original trans and shifts great; nothing but regular fluid changes and 1 filter since new.

There is almost never a need to change the power steering fluid
smile.gif

I never used to change ps fluid, but I do now. I can't stand using a turkey baster for removing fluids in cars. It always drips so much. So I use a veterinary syringe with a short length of tubing on the end.

The maintenance schedule on one of my cars included changing the power steering fluid. I had never heard about it before then. At first I wondered why it was needed. But then it occurred to me that I have always had to add ps fluid on my cars when they got higher mileage. When I change ps fluid regularly, I've never had to add ps fluid. So far.

Just because a lot of people say they never change their ps fluid doesn't make it right. A lot of people never change their coolant either. And some never replace brake fluid. Most wait until a drive belt breaks before replacing it. Just because they have done these practices for the last 30 years doesn't make them right.

Of course in a perfect world all the fluids should be changed/replaced. Many just forget or don't keep their vehicles long enough to care.

Depends on the vehicle, My 2500HD has HydroBoost with no P/S cooler....It has to be exchanged every once in a while to keep steering & brakes feeling right.

Exchanging fluid is different than a Flush. Flushing something involves flooding the component/s with a solvent.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
But then it occurred to me that I have always had to add ps fluid on my cars when they got higher mileage. When I change ps fluid regularly, I've never had to add ps fluid. So far.

In retrospect, anecdotally, that may be true, even with the taxis over the years.

My small Canyon does have a cooler - and it still blackened the FF after 2 years - so started doing the refresh and it stays clean now. Think MoleKule mentioned his Nissan did too - so that's the other thing one gets from a turkey baster (or super syringe) is a look at the fluid. While I don't use visuals on motor oil - not happy to see ATF (Cruze) or PSF look like 7k ICE motor oil

I don't do anything to maintain my power steering. The fluid on my Rav4 is really black but the steering works fine.

Urk, PS pumps weren't fun on the Grand Wags, but didn't mess up but for leaky hoses on 528 e. I flushed a PS once using return. The AT has a drain plug. Some had a flocked filter, others just a screen. Drain and filters is all I did to get 350K out of the Getrag 4 HP 22.

I did it twice not a long ago on my car; removed the hose the goes to power steering rack and replaced fluid ATF twice in couple of days; I haven't notice much of the difference though

I purchase two big bottles of PS fluid and use squeeze ketchup/mustard bottles with a 1/8 OD brass tube to extend the pick-up ability. I empty the PS pump, fill with new fluid, start the engine and turn the wheel all the way to each side and turn off the engine and repeat until I have used up the two big bottles of PS fluid.

The problem is with the word FLUSH. It's not necessary or even recommended in most of today's cars if it involves a cleaner or a solvent.

But, yes, replacing your PSF is a good idea every 60-75K miles. It's a fluid that wears out. It's not a perpetual fluid. Wynn's makes a machine for exchanging PSF. Most dealers charge about $120 for this service. You can request the service without any solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back