ProMotive PH 4612 CUT OPEN & TORN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree,not a good looking filter nor one I would be happy with....but in the real scheme of things....what harm did it do? Your engine runs in bypass at times anyway circulating more unfiltered oil than the little tear "may be" letting thru.

I agree, an Ultra would be a good choice and safe.

You're welcome JEEPWJ19
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
You're welcome JEEPWJ19
smile.gif

Also love that you put in a Fram TG. Good choices all around
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: car51
You're welcome JEEPWJ19
smile.gif

Also love that you put in a Fram TG. Good choices all around
smile.gif

Yeah, I won't be buying the tough guards since that nice $$ increase. Eco Guard for me if I stick to 5k OCI
smile.gif

Not defending this garbage, but you sure that came from AAP? I thought Carquest was the AAP house brand. "Promotive" sounds like a shop/jobber filter.

Topic ProMotive is a jobber tier filter that must be purchased in the commercial account dept of AAP, generally found towards the back and/or side of the stores. It would be the same as Group 7 filters that have been used by some independent shops.

Personally if I was looking for a filter in that tier, I buy a Super Tech off the shelf at WM for

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Topic ProMotive is a jobber tier filter that must be purchased in the commercial account dept of AAP, generally found towards the back and/or side of the stores. It would be the same as Group 7 filters that have been used by some independent shops.

Personally if I was looking for a filter in that tier, I buy a Super Tech off the shelf at WM for

Exactly sir. No idea why places can't buy a WIX 51334, FRAM 9688....

Except for Purolator made Motorcraft filters, I had never used a Purolator prior to joining BITOG in 2010 seeking advice on which oil to use in my new 2010 FX4 truck. Purolator was the darling of the filters with the Purolator Gold the cream of the crop. I swapped all of my vehicles over to those filters including family members--except for my 2010 FX4. A few years afterwards, I bought a filter cutter and started cutting my filters to inspect them. After having two PL14459 filters tear on my daughter's car and this gem of a PL10241 on my mother's van, I stopped using them.

A spreadsheet was started on the site to track which filters were tearing and the Puro fanboys (many who seemed to only be trolls and are long gone from the website) cried "Foul" daily when people posted torn filter after torn filter. Some exceptionally dedicated fanboys even going as far as to say the filter cutter is what caused the tear despite showing clear evidence the cutter wheel could not possibly touch the element. Roll forward about 24 months from that point in time and Purolator comes out with a "new" line of filters which **seems** to have solved the tearing issues (except for the Purolator clones like the one in this post). But even then and after being bought out by Mann+Hummel Purolator still cannot get it right because now instead of torn elements they have shredded ADBV's caused by rough base plate holes.

Far too many choices out there for me to consider any Purolator filter for the most minuscule of moments...

Very good point sir
smile.gif

I personally have cut over 20+ torn Puro clones and Puro filth off work vehicles as well as family and friends vehicles. I can't say much bad about
Motorcraft as the few 910S and FL-400S I ran fared well

2015_PSD sums this up very well. Thanks for that.

What first caught my attention on the Motorcraft FL820S was torn media and second the amount of rust found on recent date code purchases.

There are better more consistent options available.

Car51, I changed oil today so you will eventually see how the P1 did on a short OCI/FCI.
20.gif
20.gif

The Maxlife could have gone much longer.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Surprised the engine still ran!

Yeah, with torn filter media the engine should have rocketed through the hood and landed on a car behind it.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Truly amazing.

Now, why did I put a P1 on the Ford???
21.gif

Thanks for the cut & post.

I have a Purolator Pure One PL20195 oil filter and 6 qts. of Magnatec 5W30 oil I'm about have changed in my truck. Dang, I wonder if I will be able to sleep at night wondering if my oil filter media will tear into confetti.
grin.gif

It was BITOG that convinced me many years ago to use Purolator. However; I was convinced in the last couple years to use the Ultra. Easy come easy go!

Respectfully,

Pajero

Originally Posted By: Pajero
It was BITOG that convinced me many years ago to use Purolator. However; I was convinced in the last couple years to use the Ultra. Easy come easy go!

Respectfully,

Pajero

What's sad is that my pops(real father) tells me that in 70's, 80's Purolators were real good filters. My oh my how things "change" for
Worse

My friend changed my oil today with 6 qts. of 5W30 Magnatec oil and a Pure 1 oil filter. At 5K miles,
when I have the oil changed again, I will use a FU.
The reason I'm using a P1 is because I found it behind some boxes stored in my g/f's garage. That's where I used to keep all of the oil and filters that were donated for the OCI's we were doing for the less fortunate.
Also, I will cut the P1 open and hope I don't find all of the filter media missing.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

The reason I'm using a P1 is because I found it behind some boxes stored in my g/f's garage.

Sounds like it's just old enough to be a Tearolator ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

The reason I'm using a P1 is because I found it behind some boxes stored in my g/f's garage.

Sounds like it's just old enough to be a Tearolator ...
laugh.gif

It very well could be. It's an older rough yellow exterior P1.
What's the worse that could happen, the earth will start spinning backwards?
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back