Puerto Rico aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly Puerto Rico had a rough hit of hurricane.

Does the US government help them out with aid and relief similar to FL and Texas?

We have 6 airline tickets for the first week of December for Puerto Rico. We are now looking at alternatives.

Pres Trump promised PR a quick rebuilding. I just read that relief ships are on the way with food, water, and generators.

Sure, they will get help from the US government.

Lots of people from Puerto Rico in the next few months will be leaving the island and moving permanently to the USA.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Lots of people from Puerto Rico in the next few months will be leaving the island and moving permanently to the USA.

The rest of them are already here!
34.gif

Pretty much. We should have cut them loose a long time ago.

Ships came very quickly to VI after Irma. However the port didn't get a surge. Maria seems to have created a big surge in more places.

You can get ships nearby pretty quick, if they can use the ports may be the wild card. Hopefully San Juan didn't get damage from the surge.

Fuel first, food second, then the rest. Most have cisterns so there's generally lots of water.

The next budget is cutting nearly 1 billion dollars from disaster relief, so they might not get as much help.

Originally Posted By: CKN
We have 6 airline tickets for the first week of December for Puerto Rico. We are now looking at alternatives.

Pres Trump promised PR a quick rebuilding. I just read that relief ships are on the way with food, water, and generators.

I was thinking just the opposite for our winter travels.
It might be nice to fly to San Juan and leave some dollars there.
I doubt that the huge and deep harbor suffered any real damage, although some dredging might be needed.
I'm sure that the ancient Spanish forts and the city wall weren't hurt at all, but that's what thick stone walls will get you.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: CKN

I was thinking just the opposite for our winter travels.
It might be nice to fly to San Juan and leave some dollars there.
I doubt that the huge and deep harbor suffered any real damage, although some dredging might be needed.
I'm sure that the ancient Spanish forts and the city wall weren't hurt at all, but that's what thick stone walls will get you.

That's certainly one way to look at it. And I'm sure by the lst week of December the tourist areas "should be" up and running. I quite frankly don't know if I want to vacation in a place where 80% of people in some areas are homeless-and I hear even the rain forest isn't what it was.

Do I want to go to a "depressing place"-with 80 degree water and nice beaches?

I don't vacation in Jamaica for that very reason. I was mandated to be there for business meetings twice-you leave the resort areas and that is one depressing country.

All of the people in a place like Puerto Rico benefit from some dollars coming in.
If one wants to help a place, spending money there certainly can't hurt.
Going somewhere else won't help our fellow Americans on the island at all.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Why's that?

We should have made the island the fifty-first state long ago.
I'm guessing that you've never been.
A lovely island with very gracious people and generally high prices, although vacation rentals and the little hotels are cheap.
A nice place to visit with many great beaches.

Puerto Rico was in massive financial trouble BEFORE these storms..

Personally i'm waiting for Elon to make a move to install a massive battery banks/solar roofs during the rebuilding...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Why's that?
corruption and squalor

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Why's that?
corruption and squalor

They are US citizens since 1900 get over yourself.

Sure, they will get help from the US taxpayers.

I fixed it,

Quote:
They are US citizens since 1900 get over yourself. [/quote]

I have never been to Puerto Rico but working in the South Bronx for over 30 years has familiarized me to it's people.
I have always observed the numerous Puerto Rican flags flying coupled with the lack of American flags...

No doubt, tons of corruption.

So the island is already qualified for statehood.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No doubt, tons of corruption.

So the island is already qualified for statehood.

Lol IBTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back