Stant Superstat vs OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Running cooler is good and bad, less wear and tear on the engine but probably more fuel used.

Actually, running cooler results in more engine wear.

I will only use OEM or Superstats. In your case, I'd sure try a Superstat and see what happens.

I think that is a claim which could use some greater detail.
There is nothing wrong with running at the lower end of the design operating temp range.
The oil is perfectly viscous. The engine parts are sufficiently expanded.

Please support your opinion if you have time.

Thanks

Don't care for the standard Stants but the superstats have worked fine for me. It's rated at 195 and my ECT shows 197-200 consistantly in my GM 3.8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Well, it's not just my opinion, but here's a graph to get you started:

I logged it going to work

Opens at 185-186
Closes at 177-179

It is a pretty warm day, but maybe a few degrees less in the winter. The explorer also has a massive radiator.

Gauge never touches the thermometer icon. if 50% is the center, it is 25-38%. 40% would be the bottom of the temp icon.
Mahle lists 88C heat switch. (190). They are the OEM. (Well Behr is but they are now).

Motorcraft has this description:
Manufacturer part classification of 190 degree Ex. Hi Temp. Specific applications have variable temperature releases. This application may open at 197 degrees.

Motorad is listed as 198

Stant superstat is listed as 195

This application also fits the Suzuki Samurai and Chevy Tracker.

Interesting.

If I have to replace a T-stat I use OEM, but I have a Superstat in a friend's truck and so far so good. This was over a year ago when I did the intake manifold gaskets on a Chevy Vortec.

Originally Posted By: nthach
If I have to replace a T-stat I use OEM, but I have a Superstat in a friend's truck and so far so good. This was over a year ago when I did the intake manifold gaskets on a Chevy Vortec.

186 could be right for a 190 stat.

Probably going to try the superstat for curiosity. I will update the thread if I do.
Then again maybe Ford wants it to run a bit cooler for some reason?
I know 96 gauges are true variable gauges. I updated my oil pressure sender to show actual movement and variation. 97 would read center for a wide range of values.

I know a very experienced Ford tech, I may run it by him.

Well, it's not just my opinion, but here's a graph to get you started:

Appreciate this but what were the test perameters? The type of engine? Type of coolant? The age of the coolant? Type of oil? The Duration of the test? Etc.

If we hold this graph to the specific operating temps indicated by the OP of this thread then the graph suggests the difference is negligible.

I'm looking at getting a Stant XACTStat for the Avalon. It promises to be an exact carbon copy of the OEM stat which costs $20. The Stant is $12.50.

Appreciate this but what were the test perameters? The type of engine? Type of coolant? The age of the coolant? Type of oil? The Duration of the test? Etc.

If we hold this graph to the specific operating temps indicated by the OP of this thread then the graph suggests the difference is negligible.

Whoa, calm down. I'm not gonna do your homework for you, but just search something like "engine temp vs cylinder wear" or similar.

If you go back and read, you'll see that the OP made a general statement and I disagreed with that general statement - that's it. You'll also see that the graph (or any of many similar ones, I just grabbed the 1st one I found) support what I said. Nobody (except you) mentioned any of the specifics in your 50 questions above. I really don't care whether or not you believe what I said, nor do I have any desire to debate it.

Whoa, calm down. I'm not gonna do your homework for you, but just search something like "engine temp vs cylinder wear" or similar.

If you go back and read, you'll see that the OP made a general statement and I disagreed with that general statement - that's it. You'll also see that the graph (or any of many similar ones, I just grabbed the 1st one I found) support what I said. Nobody (except you) mentioned any of the specifics in your 50 questions above. I really don't care whether or not you believe what I said, nor do I have any desire to debate it.

Lol...were you a drama major?
A graph is of limited value absent the test criteria.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The trick is, on the Superstats from AAP, they have a lifetime warranty-save your receipt, take it back if it acts up. I've done THREE AC Delco OPS switches on the GMC 6.2 in my sig (known failure point, switch runs the fuel lift pump)!

Better make a copy. That receipt will fade away before you need it.

You're a real piece of work. The OP made a general statement, and I said it was incorrect. It's sorta like you saying that the stronger the headwind, the lower the MPG...and then I start playing 50 question. How strong was the wind? What was the ambient temp? What make/model vehicle? Which engine? How many miles on it? What color is it? Auto or manual trans? Gear ratio? What kind of tires? Were they inflated correctly? Alignment OK?

See how ridiculous all that sounds? Yes, that's how you sounded. It's a general principal that applies to all engines. If you care so much about the minute details, do a careful study and educate us all.

I've used Stant Superstats in every car that needed a new thermostat. I've had nothing but success. Think I've gone through 2 of them in my Corolla over 16 years and 200,000 miles. If/when they fail, they seem to stick open or get lazy/cooler. Never had one stick closed. They warm up quick and maintain rock steady temperature.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I've used Stant Superstats in every car that needed a new thermostat. I've had nothing but success. Think I've gone through 2 of them in my Corolla over 16 years and 200,000 miles. If/when they fail, they seem to stick open or get lazy/cooler. Never had one stick closed. They warm up quick and maintain rock steady temperature.

The super stat I bought looks very heavy duty. I'm sure this company creates OEM stats for some applications. Made in USA too.

Just to follow this up and mark it fixed, the superstat fixed the problem. Improvement: Stable temps, quick warm-up. If you have this engine it seems to be a good choice.

You're a real piece of work. The OP made a general statement, and I said it was incorrect. It's sorta like you saying that the stronger the headwind, the lower the MPG...and then I start playing 50 question. How strong was the wind? What was the ambient temp? What make/model vehicle? Which engine? How many miles on it? What color is it? Auto or manual trans? Gear ratio? What kind of tires? Were they inflated correctly? Alignment OK?

See how ridiculous all that sounds? Yes, that's how you sounded. It's a general principal that applies to all engines. If you care so much about the minute details, do a careful study and educate us all.

Just try to relax...OK?

My initial post was, "Please support your post if you have time. Thanks". I can't show more courtesy than that.

I don't recall saying anything about headwind affecting fuel economy; but if I did and if someone asked me if it was a box van or a Vette I would understand that is very relevant piece of information. I would not be offended. That is why I include links to my information.

The graph you provided showed a not surprising Increase in engine wear at cold start-up temps but a very negligible difference in engine wear once temps were at 177-186. This was the operating range stated by the OP. The difference in wear was so small that more details would be useful.

That was all I was politely asking.
confused.gif

Once again: my comment was a general statement about the OP's general statement. Neither mentioned specific numbers. Reading comprehension sure is difficult for some ...

my non-qualitative opinion is this.

An oem t-stat may last 150,000 or longer. It may also last 70,000. I've seen both.

In my rough experience superstats all can be counted on to make at least 5 years. I haven't been pleased with the lower grade stants.

Once again: my comment was a general statement about the OP's general statement. Neither mentioned specific numbers. Reading comprehension sure is difficult for some ...

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
I logged it going to work

Opens at 185-186
Closes at 177-179

It is a pretty warm day, but maybe a few degrees less in the winter.

This is just a forum and sometimes people politely ask for further details. It was nothing personal.

The specific numbers the OP mentioned actuslly fall within the blue region of your graph which is labeled "Ideal Performance Water Temperature".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back