Two WiFi networks need to usejust one for internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states I have two WiFi networks and only want the internet to use just one.

So I have a Verizon JetPack WiFi hot spot for my internet connection. The phone, laptop and desktop all connect through wireless hardware.

I also have a Netgear router that is hard wired to the desktop and connects to the laptop with wireless.

With the JetPack it counts the data files I share between computers as total data and after 15Gb a month the speed is throttled back to 3G speed.

So is there a way to limit the internet access to only the Jetpack and use the other network for the data sharing at the same time? I can disconnect one and connect to the other but would like to use both at the same time.

I'm not sure I understand... Your internet comes from the JetPack. Your phone, laptop and desktop get internet wirelessly through the JetPack.

what does the Netgear router do? Why is the desktop hardwired to the router? Why would your laptop be connected wirelessly to the router (I don't think most laptops can connect to two wireless connections at once)? Does the router have its own internet connection?

When i first set up the Jetpack I already had the Netgear router. At the time the desktop did not have wireless so I used the Ethernet cord and the router for internet. I also had a network set up where I could map drives from one computer to the other and share the files and the printer.

When I got the Jetpack and set that up on my laptop I had both networks but could only be connected to one at a time. So I got rid of the Netgear router. But I've found out when i print or move files from computer to computer or use a program and use a data file from the other computer, this is all going against my Unlimited Data plan.

well the data is unlimited but they slow it down after 15Gb of use. So in trying to limit data going through the Jetpack i would like to use the older Netgear network for file sharing and printing.

I believe on the laptop I need another wireless adapter to be connected to both networks. The desktop I want to use the hardwired Netgear network and I have the wireless adapter for the Jetpack internet.

Basically I want a wireless network for the Jetpack and internet only use. The Netgear network for file sharing. Currently i have folders shared on both computers. Have turned off file and print sharing and am only using he Jetpack network, this is still allowing me to access files from both computer though.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
turn the jetpack off if you are not using it.
I'm using the internet all the time to upload weather data 24/7.

What netgear router do you have?

I am very suspicious of the intra-network data sharing going against your wireless cap, but, whatever.

Can you set up a secondary wifi spot (name) with your netgear router? Then go into windows network options and use #2 for "internet" and #1 for peer-to-peer sharing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What netgear router do you have?

I am very suspicious of the intra-network data sharing going against your wireless cap, but, whatever.

Can you set up a secondary wifi spot (name) with your netgear router? Then go into windows network options and use #2 for "internet" and #1 for peer-to-peer sharing.
I think that is what I have to do but I have to have two network controllers on each machine, two wireless ones on the laptop and one wireless one hardwired to the Ethernet card to the router on the desktop.

It's an Netgear R6300. I asked today of Verizon if the computer to computer data was being counted and they said all data that goes through the JetPack is counted. I hit the 15Gb limit in 15 days and 15Gb or less is the normal monthly internet usage.

What I need is to run both networks at the same time but have the Jetpack internet only access and the Netgear computer to computer data only.

Can you hardwire both computers together? If not I think you'll need another wireless adaptor. still would be tricky.

They reason your file transfers are using your data is because when you are transferring files, your computer is uploading them through the jetpack, across the internet, then the other computer downloads them.

So the next thing is how do you make internet only over one network and the compter data over another?

The easiest way would be to setup something like an ASUS EA-N66 in Bridge mode on the "WAN" side of the Netgear and connect it, as the sole client, to the JetPack. Connect all the wireless clients behind the Netgear. That way, the only data that counts against your usage is what comes out the WAN port on the Netgear.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
With the JetPack it counts the data files I share between computers as total data and after 15Gb a month the speed is throttled back to 3G speed.

So is there a way to limit the internet access to only the Jetpack and use the other network for the data sharing at the same time? I can disconnect one and connect to the other but would like to use both at the same time.

Wow...that's nuts. Definitely NOT in your favor. Your provider is loving it though...

Yes, there is.

Here is a wireless adapter that plugs into an Ethernet port. I could then use it to reciev the Netgear signal and port it into the on board Ethernet card.

Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter - Ethernet to Wi-Fi N

No.

You want to use it to connect to your service and distribute it through the Netgear. You want all your devices, wired and wireless BEHIND the netgear, with the only thing connecting to the verizon device as something like this, which will indeed require an ethernet connection, so the above will indeed work for that purpose, however I've had good luck with ASUS products, which is why I recommended it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yes it does not work that way. Verizon only counts data that goes to or from the Internet through their cell tower.

However, if you use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. cloud based service, the files you share from one computer go to the Internet and then back to the other computer.

You could use the Ethernet to wifi adapter to connect to the Jetpack, as the only device connected to the Jetpack. Then plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN ("Internet") port of your Netgear. All your computers connect to the Netgear for wired or wireless internal networking. They also have Internet use through the Jetpack. The Jetpack will not see any of your internal traffic through the Netgear.

Last edited:
I was told whatever goes through the device is what they count as data. And the large increase in data used seems to agree with this.

Originally Posted By: mk378

However, if you use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. cloud based service, the files you share from one computer go to the Internet and then back to the other computer.

Verizon will charge you (twice!) for the size of those files because they went through their network (twice!) not just your local wifi.

They don't track wifi to wifi data on a Jetpack. Really, they don't. They measure within their network because that makes it impossible for customers to tamper with their device and cheat it.

Last edited:

Verizon will charge you (twice!) for the size of those files because they went through their network (twice!) not just your local wifi.

They don't track wifi to wifi data on a Jetpack. Really, they don't. They measure within their network because that makes it impossible for customers to tamper with their device and cheat it.
One of the things I figured I need to avoid was downloading files such as up dates on the laptop, running the update on the laptop, then saving over the network it on my backup drive on the desktop to use on it or in the future so as not to have to download it again. But this does not save any data use.

Looks like it's back to using USB drives to move files back and forth.

When I first got the Jetpack and asked about using it for wifi networking they were a bit taken aback and said that was not the intended use and that they did have devices that would do that. Not sure of Verizon's intentions or the knowledge of who I talked with through.

The default settings of a Jetpack may even block two wifi devices from communicating directly to each other , since that may be a security issue in a public or semi-public usage situation.

They can sell you something like this to use LTE as a primary home Internet connection. It has better wifi range and allows connection of wired Ethernet devices.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone/
Other than the analog phone feature it doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with a Jetpack and a third-party router running OpenWrt.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the Jetpack and Netgear did not see each other. The add on wifi adapter for the desktop does see both.

So, not being network savvy enough.....

How do I set up two wifi networks one for only internet use and one (Netgear) for peer to peer data sharing?

If I remember correctly the Jetpack and Netgear did not see each other. The add on wifi adapter for the desktop does see both.

So, not being network savvy enough.....

How do I set up two wifi networks one for only internet use and one (Netgear) for peer to peer data sharing?

You don't need to bud, have you not read my posts?

If you are using the WiFi to Ethernet Adapter you mentioned earlier, you simply do the following:

1. Connect the WiFi Adapter to the desktop to configure it.
2. In its setup, connect it to the Verizon wireless
3. Disconnect it from the desktop and connect it to the WAN port of the Netgear router
4. Ensure the Netgear is set to obtain an IP automatically on the WAN side
5. Connect all your wireless devices to the Netgear
6. Wire the desktop directly to the Netgear

All internal traffic is then behind the Netgear, only access to the Internet will go through the Verizon device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back