Bar oil ( that isnt tacky )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreilly carries master pro bar oil that just feels like regular ND 30wt.

Is it likely that the super sticky bar oil sometimes gets confused with pain ole 30wt?

I mean, i know there are some thick and sticky bar oils but this house brand oil doesn't feel like one of them

I've wondered what makes bar oil different if in fact, it is different.

I have an Echo 490 and ran out of bar oil. To keep working I used some leftover Red Line MTL. The result? At the same flow setting, it showed less spray when you do the test by running the saw at full throttle while aiming the bar at something to observe the spray. Also, there was less oil smoke when cutting large green pine logs about the full reach of the 20" bar.

I have no idea if this is really better or not.

As someone who has cut more than a few ton of wood every year, dry hardwood, I found out a little trick with bar oils.
I know there is an adversity to additives in oil by some here but I added (after well shaking the bottle on a lab flask shaker) some Nulon Diesel oil PTFE additive (like Slick 50 if you like).

The result was a surprise to me. Bar guide wear went down to an amazingly reduced rate! Also the power went to the cutting teeth, rather than lost on the bar & guide.

FYI I added it to Stihl bar oil..... which is tacky...

I feel it more than doubled the bar life (18" bars), based on my before and after bar and chain purchases..

Might be worth trying in your cheapy storebrand oil, depends how much cutting you do...
21.gif

I have been cutting wood for almost 30 years,
and the best bar oil for me
is whatever used motor oil is laying around. It all works the same.

To answer your question, no API oversight exists for bar chain oils.

Anyone can put ANYTHING THEY WANT to in a jug and market it as "Bar Oil".
Which is pretty much why I use used engine oil, and around here its pretty mix syn blend anyway.

Most bar oils are basic mineral oils with tackifiers added to them so pick your favorite.... Probably not going to make much difference.

If you really are a supertech junky, I have had good luck with supertech bar and chain oil. It looks like 10w-30 with some extra sticky tackifiers added to it. Cheap and works well!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have been cutting wood for almost 30 years,
and the best bar oil for me
is whatever used motor oil is laying around. It all works the same.

To answer your question, no API oversight exists for bar chain oils.

Anyone can put ANYTHING THEY WANT to in a jug and market it as "Bar Oil".
Which is pretty much why I use used engine oil, and around here its pretty mix syn blend anyway.

Even if I let it settle for months I still found it a bit stinky with used oil, made my saw stink and any little leak or spill made it worse. Plus used oil is many times worse for you than new oil.
I will mix in various new oils in with my bar oil through, just to get rid of partial quarts, or old stuff I forgot about, but I like to have some tackifier in the mix.

I have an old bottle of Slick 50 on my shelf. I couldn't use it and didn't want to throw it away. Now I know where to use it.

All the chainsaw guys keep saying ( no no no bar oil is special)

Yet im sure alls they know is the information on the can....

If special thick snotty bar oil isn't readily available for me to get im getting oil out of the diesel stash

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What are the tackifiers made of?

Bright stock.

Same as STP or Lucas oil additive.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
ATF works and keeps it from clogging.

Mineral Bar oil doesnt cloggs....unless you are using BIOstuff

I cut a few bits of tree wood the other day... 15w40 was in the oiler.

Bar was 15° hotter then the ambient temp... And honestly,i think the bright clear sky /sun had more to do with that over the friction.

I'm cutting fire wood.

I have used STP or it's equivalent and used crankcase oil for over 30 years> I have cut numerous cords of wood with my 39 year old John Deere chain saw that I have had since new. I mix a bottle of STP or equivalent in a gallon jug of oil. I still have the original bar on the saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back