Auto Parts store pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my older age I thought it would be fun to work at a major auto parts store since I've loved auto's and ope's for over 50 years. I was looking for Sat & Sun, with flexibility if needed for week days, I do other work during the week days, though I'm flexible usually. The interview went great and then she asked the pay I expected. I know it's a retail position so I said $15/hr, mind you there are zero job benefits. This is in NJ a high tax state unfortunately. Their pay is $9/hr, just above minimum wage in NJ. The store manager who interviewed me was barely making $15/hr
shocked2.gif
. No wonder the help at these stores is poor, they pay poorly to say the least and get what they pay for sorry to say.

Whimsey

Amazing isn't it? You nailed it, with regard to the help, don't expect much from them.

Yup I think starting pay here at a major auto parts store is $11.50. In MARIN COUNTY! Rent is $2k+ for a 1 bedroom apartment. Gas over $3/gal. Parts discount is good, if you flip cars or drive Uber in a 300k mile car in your spare time.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
In my older age I thought it would be fun to work at a major auto parts store since I've loved auto's and ope's for over 50 years. I was looking for Sat & Sun, with flexibility if needed for week days, I do other work during the week days, though I'm flexible usually. The interview went great and then she asked the pay I expected. I know it's a retail position so I said $15/hr, mind you there are zero job benefits. This is in NJ a high tax state unfortunately. Their pay is $9/hr, just above minimum wage in NJ. The store manager who interviewed me was barely making $15/hr
shocked2.gif
. No wonder the help at these stores is poor, they pay poorly to say the least and get what they pay for sorry to say.

Whimsey

Maybe drive for Uber or Lyft.

You could also go to work at a dealership as a shuttle driver or dealer trade driver. I've known a lot of retirees that did that and loved it.

Race to the bottom.. People wonder why a certain ideology sounds so enticing now. This is part of the reason why.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
that doesn't sound like livable wages. how do these employees make ends meet?

The employees are kids living in their parents basements with $100,000's of student loans. They will never be able to pay them back, they're screwed totally. They could work at a fast food joint and probably make more per hour. I feel sorry for many of today's youths, not all though.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe drive for Uber or Lyft.

I still don't understand why people would drive for Uber or Lyft and make peanuts while taking on ALL the risks... ?

Unfortunately (fortunately for Travis) people are driving for Uber and making a poverty wage. A part-time $12 an hour job is much better than driving some strangers you never met before.

Again, its better to work 20 hours part-time in retail than work as a ride share contractor. Uber keeps lowering the rates it pays their drivers.

Leasing a car to drive as a contractor is financial suicide.

It simply doesn't pay to drive as a contractor for a ride sharing company.

Your boss is dumb to think he'll get a quality person for an Uber wage.

Can you tell Uber driver to take alternative route to avoid heavy traffic ?

Last edited:
Very good post Whimsey. I think you are correct in your thoughts here. 2/3 of the jobs created in the past 8 yrs have been low pay jobs $8-14 an hr. This supposed economy is not what it has been made out to be for a LONG time now.

Last time I was in one of those, a worker said he put in 80 hours between two jobs at different places the last week.

Here in the Denver metro area there is a severe labor shortage.
Most fast food places are starting people at $12.00 an hour and cant find help.
And the labor shortage is not confined to just entry level jobs.
I'm in management for a large flooring company.
If you can set floor and wall tile you can make $2000+ a week as a sub contractor.

Sad,

My soon to be 19 year old daughter makes more after her first year at a local Starbucks. She is a Coffee Master, Barista Trainer and has just moved up to shift lead. She makes over $11/hr plus tips and extra pay for every barista she trains. Has a 401(k) and company bonus in the form of Starbucks stock.

I think you have become accustomed to higher wages you have now in your older age.
$9 a hour may seem little to you but for someone with one car, no house payment, no real insurance needs etc.. basically a simple life, it's a good starting wage. I am 48 and remember when min.wage was $3.35 and I picked potatoes for $4.50 a hour and was killing it. Things weren't really that much cheaper back then with the exception of gas. I think $9 is a reasonable starting wage for someone you don't know how they are going to work.
Also I would do that job for $9 a hour for the reason you state as a bit of a hobby job.
I am not too good to work for $9 a hour if that's all I could find.

Last edited:
SatinSilver,

I was kidding around. I'm very anti Uber and Lyft for someone trying to make money.

I've actually had a few people apply for my apartments that did Uber/Lyft. They were claiming that they made between 30-50k. That's probably accurate, but they're not factoring in the gas and other expenses so their actual take home was less. The 30k one was just doing it part time. I did have a guy once who delivered auto parts. He was just making minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back