Hartford (AARP) auto INsurance increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an article one time that said insurance companies have the highest profit margin of any business...somewhere in the neighborhood of 400%...I can imagine it takes A LOT of claims to turn that much profit into a loss...

Insurance companies are allowed to raise rates and stock pile it for when they do have an Irma, Andrew, Katrina, Harvey....

If they didn't build up their claims fund, they would go out of business like some companies did after Andrew in 1992.

All car insurance companies got severely caned from the two hurricanes that happened this year. I suspect everyones insurance will go up to keep the companies solvent. Also, the same companies that insure your car also insure houses so, once again, they just got beat up pretty bad. What hurts is, after they recover from all this, your rates won't go down.

I live in one of the least populated counties on one of the countrys least populated states so, with a little luck....

I carried Hartford auto insurance for a few years but then found out I was paying way too much. Don't be fooled by AARP endorsements. They are paid for those endorsements and could care less whether members are receiving competitive quotes.(They aren't) Finally, I just dropped my membership. AARP is actually about big $$$ for executives. That's all AARP is. After five years, they are still sending my membership cards. I just put all their material in the prepaid envelope and sent it back. I'll get another AARP something in the mail soo. And back it'll go. Bah Humbug ARP. I wished they had a middle finger salute smile.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I carried Hartford auto insurance for a few years but then found out I was paying way too much. Don't be fooled by AARP endorsements. They are paid for those endorsements and could care less whether members are receiving competitive quotes.(They aren't) Finally, I just dropped my membership. AARP is actually about big $$$ for executives. That's all AARP is. After five years, they are still sending my membership cards. I just put all their material in the prepaid envelope and sent it back. I'll get another AARP something in the mail soo. And back it'll go. Bah Humbug ARP. I wished they had a middle finger salute smile.

I wouldn't join AARP just based on the left wing organizations and policies they support...if I was going to join a similar organization it would be AMAC...

FYI you dont have to be in military or a family member of a military person to buy insurance from USAA. They advertise as if they only take military folks but its a privately held insurance company and they will take anyone with money to spend. Sometimes they have cheaper rates, other times not so. Check with independent agent and get multiple quotes.

Last edited:
I just checked with my State Farm agent and SF will be ~ 9.6% cheaper because of the big increase in premium cost form the HARTFORD. ED

Originally Posted By: grampi
I read an article one time that said insurance companies have the highest profit margin of any business...somewhere in the neighborhood of 400%...I can imagine it takes A LOT of claims to turn that much profit into a loss...
So I tried getting quotes from a mutual insurer, Liberty Mutual. Supposedly they are supposed to be non-profit like a credit union or something. Anyway their quotes were maybe twice as much as Geico, the evil Warren Buffett-BRK.A monster

Originally Posted By: Click
FYI you dont have to be in military or a family member of a military person to buy insurance from USAA. They advertise as if they only take military folks but its a privately held insurance company and they will take anyone with money to spend. Sometimes they have cheaper rates, other times not so. Check with independent agent and get multiple quotes.

Not true. I tried to get my sister an auto policy through USAA as our father served in the Navy, however, he was never a USAA member, so they wouldn't let my sister get insurance through them. I have it because I am a vet, but my sister couldn't get it...

AARP, it seems, is just an insurance middleman.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
AAA is the same way. They market insurance to their customer base incessantly!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
AAA is the same way. They market insurance to their customer base incessantly!

Have 7 policies through AAA. I get mailers/phone calls for life insurance, solicitations to see if I want to add any body to my roadside assistance, other things.

Mutual of Omaha sends me a life insurance policy every other week or so because I carry a medigap coverage through a Mutual company. I'm going to have life insurance coverage through Mutual whether I want it on not(according to them).

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Hurricane Irma has scared insurance companies from wanting to do business in Florida. If insurance companies do sell in Florida, they are probably going to gouge the consumer for a while.

Except most state governments have an insurance commissioner that works to make that not the situation.

Ha, when it comes to Loozyana. Usually the insurance commissioner here, well, let's just say he wants to do more than just dip his beak. I WISH I could get $1000/year -- and I have shopped, from Geico to Liberty Mutual to GoAuto. AAA is still the best rate.

I have the very uncomfortable feeling that AARP Hartfort insurance low-balled me and then raised my rate 43% the following year. :) I spent time with my old State Farm agent this afternoon and was reinstated and will have my auto insurance with State Farm who I had been with for 41 years. Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back