Danika loses ride, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

Typical know-nothing media column in IndyStar today about how Indycar "needs" her. Good grief!

Well, they could trade Marco for Danica...LOL!

Talk about a waste of a prime seat, and the power of nepotism. Herta's whispering of sweet nothings in his ear this year have done nothing for his results. PT's Uber comment wasn't that far from the truth.

At least Danica would bring some attention to the series, while achieving roughly similar results.

(But no, I'm not serious about bringing her back.)

And at the risk of straying too far off topic, IndyCar is doing a fine job of building itself back up, albeit slowly. That's why Newgarden needs to stave off the typical Penske foot-shooting implosion and take the title this weekend.

I have great respect for Dixon, but his Q factor is practically nil outside of racing, and the series could use a charismatic and marketable star like Newgarden as its champion. He'd move the needle far more than Dixon would.

Plus, while the impact of the stupid double points gimmick was sharply reduced by the results at the Glen, a series champion should have the most wins. JoNew has four wins, while Dixon only has one, fewer than Power and even Rahal.

Originally Posted By: Lenny5160
Originally Posted By: Gebo

But "irregardless"
wink.gif

I love that one, but I only use it once and awhile.

I like it.

I think if Danica Patrick was a man, she would have been out of the cup series a long time ago. Icing on the cake is she races dirty. It'll be good if she leaves NASCAR.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
.....Icing on the cake is she races dirty.

That statement is correct, only if you believe what she does out there could actually be considered "racing".

Formula E is usually the next home for failed or past-their-prime racing drivers.
But now I'm confused; when was Danica's "prime"?
Or maybe Global Rallycross.
But NASCAR has always had undeserving drivers buying competitive rides. Loy Allen Jr. and Buckshot Jones come to mind. Neither of them lasted 6 years in a car that was capable of weekly top 10's and the occasional win.
But Lance Stroll is an example of a ride-buyer that has turned out to be more than expected. Probably half of the F1 field buy their rides.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Formula E is usually the next home for failed or past-their-prime racing drivers.

I forgot about that. There's a ton of washed up F1 drivers in Formula "E". Nick Heidfeld, Jarno Trulli, Sebastian Buemi, John Eric Vernge, Nelson Piquet Jr., and a bunch of others. Even Esteban Gutierrez ended up over there. It's like a retirement community for Formula 1.

Seriously Danika is taking over Valentino Rossi' spot next season . Just wait and see.

They want to change that, since that's important if they want to change their image.

And yes, paid drivers are common all over. I have no problem with Patrick bringing in a lot of sponsorship. The very best and the most mediocre drivers can all bring in some good sponsorship dollars. Niki Lauda had to pay to get into Formula 1, and I don't see people calling him on it. Patrick's marketability is clear. Perhaps her ability is less so.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Richard Petty was right! He caught a lot of flack for saying after her rookie year that the only way she could win a race was if she were driving the only car on the track.
grin.gif

and how many races have pretty cars won in last 10 years?

Originally Posted By: Garak

They want to change that, since that's important if they want to change their image.

And yes, paid drivers are common all over. I have no problem with Patrick bringing in a lot of sponsorship. The very best and the most mediocre drivers can all bring in some good sponsorship dollars. Niki Lauda had to pay to get into Formula 1, and I don't see people calling him on it. Patrick's marketability is clear. Perhaps her ability is less so.
wink.gif

True, but Lauda was a force to be reckoned with, and World Champion 3 times. Still holds the record for 9th most F1 wins.

May have bought his way in, but F1 and fans were really happy he did it.

Danica? Was a bunch of hype from Day One. I've spent years wondering what the big deal was, and still haven't found out.

Media basically told me that she was a sexy race car driver. I don't think she fits the qualifications for either part.

Absolutely. But, without him obtaining a suitcase full of money, we'd have never known it. One would think that in any series, a pay driver is going to meet, at the very least, the minimum qualifications. As has even been said often about Pastor, he could be insanely quick when all things gelled. In other cases, it works out very well. And, then we have some cases where we're left scratching our heads. In the cases of Pastor and Danica, both seemed to lose their rides when the money dried up. At least he got to stand on the top step once.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Seriously Danika is taking over Valentino Rossi' spot next season . Just wait and see.

I've read that a few times, and I still have no idea where you are going with that comment. Care to elaborate?

Oh and Merk, I've met Danica in person. I liked her.

Last edited:
Nascar isn't in the business to put on great races. They are in the business to make money. If Pee-Wee Herman brought a 25-30 million dollar sponsorship he would be in a Cup car tomorrow.

I can't speak for NASCAR, but you still need to meet certain minimum qualifications to get a seat in F1, which isn't easy. The NASCAR media talking about Danica driving in F1 when Haas F1 started was just hilarious, since she had zero points towards a Super License.

I can't speak for NASCAR, but you still need to meet certain minimum qualifications to get a seat in F1, which isn't easy. The NASCAR media talking about Danica driving in F1 when Haas F1 started was just hilarious, since she had zero points towards a Super License.

Speaking of a Super License, aren't they ungodly expensive? I thought I read where Vettel and Hamilton paid north of $1 MILLION a year each to the FIA, just to hold one.

Suzie Wolff would have driven rings around her and not even she could get a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back