Opinions on buying a hail damaged/ repaired car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like any other repair, there are good bad and indifferent techs.

I personally would have no issue buying a properly repaired Hail car that was completely PDRed by a good tech. By properly repaired I mean no holes drilled, no over pushed areas and so forth. I would not buy one unseen without a something in writing saying that there were no holes drilled, corrosion protection was restored and there was no broken paint.

Will they tell you the name of the firm that did the PDR?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Like any other repair, there are good bad and indifferent techs.

I personally would have no issue buying a properly repaired Hail car that was completely PDRed by a good tech. By properly repaired I mean no holes drilled, no over pushed areas and so forth. I would not buy one unseen without a something in writing saying that there were no holes drilled, corrosion protection was restored and there was no broken paint.

Will they tell you the name of the firm that did the PDR?

Sounds like sound advice.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he says and also ask about method, no holes drilled, paint used etc

Originally Posted By: alchargo
I'm from Sioux City, IA
smile.gif
Woodhouse Chrysler Dodge is a decent dealership from my experiences. They're not really a high volume seller, unless it's a Jeep, hence why they still have 2 year old Chargers. There should be some room for negotiation.

The hail storm in question was a few months ago. It wasn't too severe and most damage it caused should be able to be corrected by a decent PDR tech.

It may not have a salvage/rebuilt title, but in Iowa a damage disclosure is required on the title if the vehicle has sustained $3k or more in damage.

Feel free to message me. I'd be willing to go check it out for you. It would have to be in the evening due to my work schedule, but I have a high lumens flashlight that'll bring out any imperfections.

You have a PM

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Make sure that you can buy a car out of state. Cant here unless it has 7500 miles on it or more.

Can't unless it has 7500 miles, or Cali emissions. (As I recall, all Hemi Chargers are 50-state emissions.)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Seems odd someone local hasn't snapped them up? If I was going to go that far, I'd try to decide if I want a dinged up car for $20k before I flew there.
I found a 285 mile 2016 for $27k, and ones half way into the second oil change are cheaper than that. Seems like Iowa is a cheap place for nearly new R/T's so if the hailed ones don't work out, you may find another one to take home.

Critical difference: these are "new", so they still have full warranties.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I've had good luck with PDR. You can't see where it was done in fact.

The issue for me is this - was it all repaired with PDR? As far as I know they have to be able to get behind the dent and push it out. Some dents would be easy to get at and some not so much. Dents on the roof might not be accessible for example. I wouldn't want a car that had some hail damage repairs done with a little body fill and a quick spray. That fill might well fall out with a good shake!

The only way I might be tempted would be: model I really wanted, warranty still in place, non salvage title and unbelievably cheap.

I suspect there's a good reason they've been on the lot forever.

PDR guys can get into amazingly tight places. Honestly, my worry would actually be the hood: I thought they were aluminum on a Charger. (Anyone with a Charger...please see if a magnet sticks to your hood.)

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
It looks pretty decent but nothing beats seeing it up close I guess.

They do seem to be selling more quickly than I thought...I swore there was 11 on the lot a couple of days ago...now down to 7

https://www.woodhouse.com/search/180431

Without doing much research, that sounds like a deal. Title should be clear too, they just can't sell it as new due to the amount of damage.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
Any updates?

Nothing other than I test drove a Go Mango Challenger SXT today here in NH

Fun car

Some facts to consider...
1. New cars don't have titles, they have MSO's. There won't be anything on the title because there hasn't been a title issued on it yet.
2. Cars that have had PDR work done on them are not painted, so nothing can "wash" out of the dents.
3. Some PDR technicians do AMAZING work! The work that some of them can do is so good that nobody can tell there were any dents in the car, not even an expert. Like any other profession, some of the PDR technicians are very good and some are not so good.
4. Hail damage does NOT negate any new car warranties.
5. From a purchase price standpoint, since the car has had PDR work done on it, and given the fact that it is so aged, consider it a used car and pay a used car price for it.

Last edited:
Might get some pushback if you try to make a warranty claim for paint/decal damage or even a cracked windshield...but otherwise, agreed.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Might get some pushback if you try to make a warranty claim for paint/decal damage or even a cracked windshield...but otherwise, agreed.

Manufacturer's new car warranties are "limited" and cover manufacturer defects in materials and workmanship only, not something that happens to the car, acts of God, or anything that an owner does to it.
Even if you have a legit warranty claim, some manufacturers will fight you on covering it in some cases. Ford is notorious for doing this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
1. New cars don't have titles, they have MSO's. There won't be anything on the title because there hasn't been a title issued on it yet.
2. Cars that have had PDR work done on them are not painted, so nothing can "wash" out of the dents.
3. Some PDR technicians do AMAZING work! The work that some of them can do is so good that nobody can tell there were any dents in the car, not even an expert. Like any other profession, some of the PDR technicians are very good and some are not so good.
5. From a purchase price standpoint, since the car has had PDR work done on it, and given the fact that it is so aged, consider it a used car and pay a used car price for it.

All good points although 24K for a Charger RT with 0 miles on it seems to be a pretty low price providing that the repairs have been done correctly....the only lower priced RT's I've see are former rentals from Hertz that are in the 22k-23k range with 40,000 plus miles on it. I would not feel too confident on buying a used Hemi Charger from a rental car company...i doubt they have been driven normally lol

I don't know if I buy those items. There has to be a way to get a salvage title on a new car that has never been titled. Think damage in transit, tornado, flood, hail damage. No way a flooded car on a dealer's lots from the recent hurricane could ever not have a salvage or branded title.

It's conceivable that hail damage could also lead to water damage. Storm happens on a Sat night, breaks the windshield, moonroof, back, side windows, etc and rain goes in all weekend long. No manufacturer will want to touch the electrical nightmare that could become.

I know I'd be a little leery of a non-local hail damaged car. It's not like the OP knows what the storm did, how long it was, and more importantly how long before the damage was noticed and corrected.

Buying a Mopar, I'd want a nice long warranty. Chances are you will need it even without any external damage.

I've had hail damage and if the car sits in the sun most of the time the small dents tend to disappear after a year or so.....

I would have no reservations buying that car as long as the title is clean and warranty is still valid. If you go to look at it, have them pull it inside the shop. If the PDR work is sub-par you'll be able to see it under shop lighting. [censored] PDR techs can get by with poor work if the car is viewed outside.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I don't know if I buy those items. There has to be a way to get a salvage title on a new car that has never been titled. Think damage in transit, tornado, flood, hail damage. No way a flooded car on a dealer's lots from the recent hurricane could ever not have a salvage or branded title.

It's conceivable that hail damage could also lead to water damage. Storm happens on a Sat night, breaks the windshield, moonroof, back, side windows, etc and rain goes in all weekend long. No manufacturer will want to touch the electrical nightmare that could become.

1. This is a FACT! New vehicles do NOT have titles, they have MSO's.
MSO = Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
Only when a new vehicle is sold to the first owner is it issued a title in the state where it is sold. At that point it becomes a used vehicle. As long as a new car dealer retains ownership of a new vehicle and it's MSO it is still considered a new vehicle, regardless of how old it is, how many miles are on it, or if it has had any body repairs done on it. Many states DO have regulations covering at what dollar amount (or percentage of purchase price) any repairs done on a new vehicle must be disclosed to a buyer.
If a new car dealer's insurance company declares a vehicle a "total loss" and takes possession of the vehicle (buys it from the new car dealer), a title will HAVE to be issued in the insurance company's name, and THEN it becomes a used vehicle. When the insurance company resells the "total loss" vehicle, then, by law (in Texas and most other states) the NEW owner of the used vehicle MUST be issued a branded title (or if the new owner is a licensed dealer/wholesaler, the title must be "assigned" by the insurance company as a "branded" title). This is the insurance company's responsibility. There is NO lawful way around this in most states. Auctions and salvage companies, being licensed by the state, are required to keep all parties honest on this or will be held legally responsible.

4. Like I mentioned in another post, manufacturer's new vehicle warranties are "limited" and only cover manufacturer defects in materials and workmanship, NOT anything that is done to a vehicle or acts of God. Any problem specifically caused by hail damage or any other act of GOD would NOT be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back