OEM vs TYC housings

Status
Not open for further replies.
meep, interestingly, the OP of that post on MDXers.org already has condensation in his TYC housings, like you suffered with yours. He was going to send them back, anyway, but he's now got another reason.

The only issues I've had with TYC housings is that the weather seal around the housing only lasts around 2-3 years, then they start to leak. The UV protection layer on the lens starts to take a [censored] after a year in the sun.

Otherwise I couldn't tell the difference between them and OE as far as light pattern/output goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
"Although CAPA states it requires that participating manufacturers meet comprehensive quality and process related requirements, it believes the most important aspect of CAPA certification is the actual testing and comparison of the aftermarket part to the OEM part. According to CAPA, some programs only require their participants to meet general process requirements, and when they do, all of their parts automatically qualify."

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/capa-says-testing-only-way-to-prove-part-quality/

I use a lot of CAPA certified parts on older cars that either OE parts are not available or so expensive the cost would basically total the car.
The certified parts are the same materials as OE and the fit and finish are very good, I have never had any issues using CAPA certified parts.
Many times insurance companies will specify used or CAPA certified.

I wouldn't allow one mans opinion on an internet forum dissuade me from using parts that have proven themselves to be of decent quality and held up to testing by an unbiased third party not just advertising hype no matter how much of expert he claims to be.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
"Although CAPA states it requires that participating manufacturers meet comprehensive quality and process related requirements, it believes the most important aspect of CAPA certification is the actual testing and comparison of the aftermarket part to the OEM part. According to CAPA, some programs only require their participants to meet general process requirements, and when they do, all of their parts automatically qualify."

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/capa-says-testing-only-way-to-prove-part-quality/

On OEM suppliers, the lights get "self certified" at every shift, lamp samples go to photometrics and checked daily. If they fail, then root cause will be investigated. They are independently checked in the design phase by Honda,Subaru,etc. at their or contracted labs.

American exports also must comply with the country they are being designated. For example China has "CCC" certification.

Quote:
The two most important elements of China Compulsory Certification (CCC) certification are product testing (products that are to be certified are sent to test laboratories in China) and factory audits (inspection of the product manufacturers by Chinese auditors). Once a certification is granted, it is valid for several years but must be maintained through annual follow-up audits.

The CCC certification process also includes comprehensive application documents, factory preparation and various payments and fees. Through the aid of a company like China Certification, the entire process can be completed within 4-5 months; without support, the process typically requires 6-18 months.

Unless you are cooking the books like Volkswagen.
frown.gif

Last edited:
I had a tyc headlight assembly installed on my 2009 legacy for a few months, along with an oem subaru headlight assembly. The tyc clearly threw light differently than the oem subaru headlight, hard to describe how, so I'll just post some pictures.

I just replaced the now 20yr old OEM HDLT assemblies with TYC's. Huge difference not only in light output but side output and light down the road. These replacements feature GLASS lenses! They also have both vertical & horizontal adjustments.

Very pleased so far.

The certifications were created by insurance companies to legitimize the aftermarket housings in crash replacement. They are 1/2 or less. Follow the money. Save 3-400 bucks on 300k fender benders and your talking about tens of millions of dollars in savings and profits.

Originally Posted By: stroked93
The certifications were created by insurance companies to legitimize the aftermarket housings in crash replacement. They are 1/2 or less. Follow the money. Save 3-400 bucks on 300k fender benders and your talking about tens of millions of dollars in savings and profits.

We could also talk about why OE manufactures charge hundreds of dollars for a single SIMPLE halogen lamp assembly. (We wont even get into Projector & HID)
Unreasonable to cost so much. Aftermarket is 1/3 the cost. I would go with, you know 20-30% more for the OE part. Maybe even 50% more. But 300%? Get out of here.

Agreed. My old glass lenses were fine. I'll save them as backup. I couldn't buy just the reflectors either, thus complete replacement was necessary.

I did consider having them re-aluminized due to my astronomy background. There are many coaters out there who coat/aluminized all sorts of things, plastic included.

I know this is an old thread revived but I'll add this. On my civic I couldn't afford the $200+ genuine Honda headlights, besides even when new the Honda lights for the 96 were NEVER that good anyway! I bought some TYC for the civic at like $38/each! What could I lose at that price? Actually they do put out a "hot spot" but the light output (spread patter) is actually more defined than the original! Is it perfect? No.. But is it an improvement over the stock lights (when new, of course), definitely!

I think it all depends on what vehicle the lights are going to be in, but in my case, I haven't been disappointed.

Depo's are nice on my old car. Unlike the Hella or Valeo OEM's, I can open up the Depo's to upgrade to a proper HID projector (which TRS EVOX-R match up to the bolt pattern, with some grinding of the holder to fit the solenoid for the bixenon projector)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back