NASCAR Fans Mad over "British" Announcer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
Starting off your thread by insulting and stereotyping NASCAR fans ? Doesn't matter what your point is after that, you lost me.

Not really. Got you to read a page and a half then post a comment.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It's OK,...it's not PC to insult any other group....It's part of the American double standard....

There was only one group dumb enough to call Diffey English.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: pbm
It's OK,...it's not PC to insult any other group....It's part of the American double standard....

There was only one group dumb enough to call Diffey English.

So you think that every other 'identity group' in America would know an Australian from an English accent??....highly DOUBTFUL....I realize that a lot of Americans aren't too bright...but only one group is fair game for ridicule because of PC....

wait, are you trying to say that NASCAR fans can be intolerant? Get outta town jk

That being said I am sure it isn't the general feeling but some randos that were asked about it. Who cares as long as they are good.

For what it's worth, I thought Diffey was English. I wouldn't know an Englishman from an Australian if they talked standing next to one another. Somehow I think that's not some intolerable, gross mistake. Just more politically correct B.S.

If you have not been around both allot it is more difficult - I'm in Oz now so I'm getting "tuned" (again) to key word pronunciations - like "here" can sound like two syllables etc ...
I'm always happy to be somewhere that speaks English for starters.

Originally Posted By: billt460
For what it's worth, I thought Diffey was English. I wouldn't know an Englishman from an Australian if they talked standing next to one another. Somehow I think that's not some intolerable, gross mistake. Just more politically correct B.S.

It's not really politically correct [censored], nor is it some intolerable gross mistake. It's simple ignorance. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Last edited:
Exactly pbm. Every "identity" group has it's WORLD CHAMPIONS.

That having been stated, I enjoy the F-1 races due to the announcers. They are different but can be quite funny and entertaining. And trust me they have to be at times when there is no changes in who's in the lead or much else going on out there.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I remember not being happy about NBC replacing Varsha on the F1 team but after watching quali yesterday, Varsha seemed a bit out of place. I think NBC knows they found gold in Hobbs/Matchett and Bell/PT but they only have one top rank lead.

I didn't see the NASCAR race to know what's going on but I thought the same thing with respect to Varsha, he seemed out-of-place. Was it last year they had Bell (or someone else) sub for Diffey and every time he said Verstoppen instead of Verstappen I wanted to yell at my TV.

Diffey is a great broadcaster no matter what he's calling, whether it's the winter Olympics or F1. Add in Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton and I think they're better than the Sky sports group.

One more point on Buxton, he has great energy and he asks the questions whose answers become news for the rest of the motorsports media until the next race. Next time you hear his interviews, pay attention to the quotes that get turned into stories on motorsport.com, autosport, f1i, racer, f1fanatic, and more.

Count me as part of the small group that can distinguish an Australian accent from a British, Irish, or Scottish one. I can't explain the difference but I can hear it.

Last edited:
Ask these same Australians or English who get all bent out of shape over the fact we can't distinguish any difference between them, if they can tell the difference from a Chicago or New York accent. Most can't. The only difference is we don't have a cow over it.

There is always someone peddling controversy and reporters will find them -
The guys from Oz are just plain big gear heads - all kinds of racing to big rig trucking to outback 4WD rigs (my favorites of course) - on the tube - they cover these events with true passion - relax and listen up ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Ask these same Australians or English who get all bent out of shape over the fact we can't distinguish any difference between them, if they can tell the difference from a Chicago or New York accent. Most can't. The only difference is we don't have a cow over it.

That's not quite the same, though. Australia and England are on totally different continents, separated by thousands of miles, versus two cities that are at least sort of in the same part of one country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back