Shell Rotella T6 5W40 CJ-4/SM vs CK-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
When are the Diesel oils going to come out in 5 quart jugs?

Come to Australia, Everyting is either 5L, 10L, 20L, 205L and 1000L.
No-one buys single Litre bottles

Originally Posted By: JFAllen

Come to Australia, Everyting is either 5L, 10L, 20L, 205L and 1000L.
No-one buys single Litre bottles

Will you sponsor me?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
IMHO: If the new version is not API rated SM or SN for gas engines, I'd steer clear of using it in those applications!

I'm using it in my Land Cruiser, petrol V8. No problems. Yes I have been using the new formula. 8qts per oil change, 5,000 miles.

Probably never, 90% of all diesel applications call for oil capacity in gallons, not quarts or liters, at least here in the US. Heavy equipment, generators, big rigs, locomotives, you name it. Light duty diesels like your Duramax and my Powerstroke are a very small percentage of diesel users compared to the whole industry that relies on that power.

Thanks for posting. Interesting difference in flashpoint. Glad to see T6 is increasing ZDDP in the CK4 after going below 1000 ppm P for about 6 months - should make Ford happy again.

Last edited:
Seems they could on synthetic HDEO since that's more of a pickup market whereas big rigs run Delo/Delvac/Rotella Dino

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
The 15w40 ck-4 looks to be a much better oil for the money.

http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html

TBN- 10.27 Calcium 2295 Phosphorus 1080 Zinc 1203 Boron 207

Yep, looking at the VOA from the OP and the VOA from PQIA, looks like the new CK-4 Rotella has about Boron ~ 200 ppm, Zinc ~ 1200 ppm, no significant Moly and a Calcium detergent package in the 2000 (Syn) to 2300 (Mineral) range.

That 1200 ppm of zinc should be ample for the flat tappet people out there.

And just to add, the CK-4 Rotella 15W40 has a Noack volatility of 11.7 % which is good and a KV100 of 14.8 cSt. With the TBN at ~ 10.3 that is one strong oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Seems they could on synthetic HDEO since that's more of a pickup market whereas big rigs run Delo/Delvac/Rotella Dino
I wonder how many big trucks ru syn unless in ARCtic winters? Tranns and diffs have synoil from the factories in the new vehicles.

Originally Posted By: SR5
And just to add, the CK-4 Rotella 15W40 has a Noack volatility of 11.7 % which is good and a KV100 of 14.8 cSt. With the TBN at ~ 10.3 that is one strong oil.

10.3 TBN?? Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Black6spdZ
Originally Posted by SR5

10.3 TBN?? Am I missing something?

[Linked Image]

Since no one answered your question, yes you missed something. The quoted text is for 15W40 and the VOA pic is for 5W40.

Thanks again OP for the VOA on the 5W40 CJ-4 and CK-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back