When do you think fuel prices will come back down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sir1900
In this neck of the woods, gas is now back down to its pre-Harvey price.

Yes, I just noticed that. I was one of the "fortunate" ones and needed gas when it wasn't at the pre-Harvey price.
wink.gif

Also said in the news that hedge fund managers have switched from crude oil to fuels.

WTI Crude Oil has been sort of arching over in price since summer 2016. On that alone, a rise to $51-$53/gall could be in the cards before any possibility of lower prices. And gas prices often follow oil prices higher.

Worse yet, that $58 smash in 2014 ($100 to $42) will likely be retraced to some extent in the months/years ahead. The fall from 2013 to early 2016 was $111 to $26...a 76% fall. So don't be surprised if you see $75-$90/barrel oil again in 2018-2020 (and pump gas at $4+/gal). Reversion to the mean.

I don't see oil going much over $60 for looong time. There is just too much supply and there are fields here in the US that are idled waiting for the price to come up a bit.

Saudis and that entire group are very intelligent. Probably never, Shell VP called it years ago and no one listened to him.

Hopefully in the next few years the average vehicle gets 50mpg. Once a battery break through comes out, probably from John Goodenough, we'll never use fuels again in consumer vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back