AC fixed but still not blowing cold air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best bet is to get one of the A/C thermometers that you can stick in a vent . Drive it at high way speed . Report back the temperature and also at Idle .

Usually , there is a sticker some where under the hood stating the factory refrigerant charge .

The best way to charge it is by weight . Should be R134a .

Can not remember if this has been discussed , but , verify that hot coolant is not flowing through the heater core .

You may need to get some instruction & then a set off gauges / hoses so you can check this stuff yourself . Look for this heater valve . It is vacuum operated . If it is bad or not getting vacuum , it will not work properly . I think if there is no vacuum it defaults to full hot coolant flow .

Be careful out there , :)

Last edited:
Both good ideas . We have a 1991 Caprice . I was trying to put it back in service . Several winters ago . Found out the water valve is full heat with no vacuum applied . Full vacuum gives no heat .

Had to re-attach the mechanical cable going to the heat - cool blend door . And replace the vacuum rotary switch that selects the other vacuum actuated blend doors .

The following summer , while trying to get the A/C back in service , I purchased a 3/4" ball vave & hose barbs . Cut one of the heater hoses and spliced in the valve . 100% cuts off the coolant flow to the heater core .

Best wishes , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back