Historical Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Year class. 42 students. Verbal delivery supplemented by blackboard keywords

What big bad event happened in the 1940's?

BLANK

This big bad thing ended in 1945

BLANK

It ended because of something that happened at a place called Hiroshima, in Japan. (Arguable, but close enough)

BLANK

Taiwan stopped being Japanese and became...er...whatever it is now.

BLANK (Ok, that's a tricky one)

This big bad event is often named by the initials W..W..

Triumphant student : The WORLD WIDE WEB!

Wait til you meet the kids who are not only stupid but are also self righteous in their ignorance.

We will soon be approaching a point in time where it will be accurate and fair to say that "college kids are stupid".

You hear about the SJWs who protested a class about the ancient Greek philosophers?

That is freaken scary. Were they being shy? Or goofing on you? I'm trying to give them the benefit of doubt? Is it a cultural thing that it is not discussed in Taiwan? The last hundred yrs of Taiwanese history must have been a horror show. It is not a huge topic in Japan or Germany either.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Wait til you meet the kids who are not only stupid but are also self righteous in their ignorance.

We will soon be approaching a point in time where it will be accurate and fair to say that "college kids are stupid".

IMO, we are there.
Walkouts to protest whatever. Counseling because you are upset over the results of a national event. Rooms with puppies to relieve stress?
Holy moly, we already have kids that are crybabies, can't stand conflict, and if it cant be said in 140 characters or less, they do not know what to do. Most cant find their hiney with both hands and a diagram.

I like the story of the music teacher who played " Rhapsody in Blue" for his students. Then later he asked for the name on a test. It came back as "Rap City in Blue"

Kids these days....

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The US education system is catastrophic.

One of the teachers that works in my district (I do IT for the school district) told me she was in one of the political protests.

Teachers and parents are both responsible. The parents are bad enough, but it is amazing to me how many teachers cannot think for themselves to figure things out. The best teachers I had growing up, were the ones who had high expectations and taught me to think critically.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
First Year class. 42 students. Verbal delivery supplemented by blackboard keywords

BLANK

BLANK

It ended because of something that happened at a place called Hiroshima, in Japan. (Arguable, but close enough)

BLANK

Because you are expecting American answers from Taiwanese children.
They probably are taught a different version of events.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

One of the teachers that works in my district (I do IT for the school district) told me she was in one of the political protests.

Teachers and parents are both responsible. The parents are bad enough, but it is amazing to me how many teachers cannot think for themselves to figure things out. The best teachers I had growing up, were the ones who had high expectations and taught me to think critically.

I question whether they teach the kids to think , at all ?

Best wishes , :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: Ducked

BLANK

BLANK

BLANK

Because you are expecting American answers from Taiwanese children.
They probably are taught a different version of events.
History is history, it doesn't come in "versions" unless for propaganda purposes.

History is written by the victors .

History is almost always written , depending on the point of view of the writer .

A great deal of history approaches propaganda , if it does not outright cross the line .

Much ends up very slanted , by chosing what to tell & what to be silent on .

This may sound pessimistic, but I'm glad I have many more years behind me than in the future. I think life in the US is going to be very unpleasant for the majority of individuals. We can't keep going the way we have for the past fifty years without fundamental changes to our society. I have watched Ken Burn's "Vietnam" series on PBS this week, and I wonder to myself how we made such a horrible decision to enter a war where we knew we couldn't win and the people we were trying to help didn't want us there. We knew that in 1965 yet stayed on for eight more years and over fifty thousand service members killed in action. Then we literally dragged our hind side out of there with the whole world watching. And now, the same exact thing is going to occur when we leave the Middle East with our hat handed to us. I'm glad I won't be around to see it. And the current generation is going to be looking at each other with astonished puzzlement asking what happened. What happened is too much of everything but common sense and moderation. BAH HUMBUG

Our civilian and military leadership needed to be much better in Viet Nam .

Then the leftist media ! :-(

A bunch of people that were suppose to be very smart , made a bunch of very bad mistakes / decisions . :-(

You are also correct , we will very likely leave the sand box worse than when we found it .

First thing , clean house in D. C. .

Apparently it is in Taiwan, too..

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
This may sound pessimistic, but I'm glad I have many more years behind me than in the future. I think life in the US is going to be very unpleasant for the majority of individuals. We can't keep going the way we have for the past fifty years without fundamental changes to our society. I have watched Ken Burn's "Vietnam" series on PBS this week, and I wonder to myself how we made such a horrible decision to enter a war where we knew we couldn't win and the people we were trying to help didn't want us there. We knew that in 1965 yet stayed on for eight more years and over fifty thousand service members killed in action. Then we literally dragged our hind side out of there with the whole world watching. And now, the same exact thing is going to occur when we leave the Middle East with our hat handed to us. I'm glad I won't be around to see it. And the current generation is going to be looking at each other with astonished puzzlement asking what happened. What happened is too much of everything but common sense and moderation. BAH HUMBUG

Unless they can take a selfie and text with their BFF about how it relates to the latest Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Ariana grande, etc song, I doubt they'll care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back