Toyota Oil Filter Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Why do you mock me, O Lord?

At least I kept them in the box..

AND...you probably won't feel too bad if you knew how much they costs me.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I used to go out of my way to buy those expensive Toyota filters on the gray market from Carson Toyota. I thought they looked cool on the inside but that was about the only reason I could come up with for spending the extra money.

What is their advantage again? I never found one, have you?

For giggles, why don't you let me know?
PS I guess you keep them climate controlled. Filters dont like being stored very long term in suboptimal conditions
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Gebo
They just make ME feel good on the inside.
wink.gif

Yep, that was all I could come up with too. I decided that wasn't worth anything however, since there is no filtration data for them just like there isn't for the current Thailand made ones.

I did find a disadvantage however. Using that filter is the only time I experienced fairly loud start-up knock in cold weather (-25F). I've since started my car in those conditions using the Thailand filter and it has not made that noise.

For giggles, why don't you let me know?
PS I guess you keep them climate controlled. Filters dont like being stored very long term in suboptimal conditions
laugh.gif

Oh, yeah. I keep them in my bedroom. 72-74 degrees year round.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They just make ME feel good on the inside.
wink.gif

Yep, that was all I could come up with too. I decided that wasn't worth anything however, since there is no filtration data for them just like there isn't for the current Thailand made ones.

Here's where I beg to differ with you, kind sir. These were made in Japan. And being but a simple man I have noticed over the last 40 years or so that most things made in Japan are very high quality.

If you notice in my sig, all of those cars have a "J" as the first digit in their VIN.

I'm attempting humor if it's not apparent..

As also shown on Amazon, the Toyota G2 suffix filter is a Purolator 'made for' Toyota filter. Date code on top will confirm that. Baseplate also looks to be a Purolator design.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The D1 and G2 are interchangeable, use one or the other, all the same except where it's made and the design. Does the G2 have louvers instead of round holes in the center tube?

It may be because Denso Thailand is having a hard time producing enough filters, is my guess why the G2 is a preplacement for the D1

The G2 has round holes in the tubes, made in USA, and red/pink silicone valve. ON the top of the canister it has stamped "F07J31E2G"

I believe that was made July 31, 2017, and having round holes is something other Purolators are no longer using. Any sign of the ADBV extending into the inlet holes and having cuts? Interesting Toyota chose round holes over louvers. I would use them if everything checks out, especially for $4.

The D1 and G2 are interchangeable, use one or the other, all the same except where it's made and the design. Does the G2 have louvers instead of round holes in the center tube?

It may be because Denso Thailand is having a hard time producing enough filters, is my guess why the G2 is a preplacement for the D1

The G2 has round holes in the tubes, made in USA, and red/pink silicone valve. ON the top of the canister it has stamped "F07J31E2G"

I believe that was made July 31, 2017, and having round holes is something other Purolators are no longer using. Any sign of the ADBV extending into the inlet holes and having cuts? Interesting Toyota chose round holes over louvers. I would use them if everything checks out, especially for $4.

Puro has been known to make filters per tight OEM spec and QC. If anything, Motorcraft and Mopar filters survived Teargate and Cutgate compared to their main lines.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Puro has been known to make filters per tight OEM spec and QC. If anything, Motorcraft and Mopar filters survived Teargate and Cutgate compared to their main lines.
Purolator has gone from golden child to black sheep on this forum over the course of the last decade. Now people here worship Honda's OEM supplier, Fram

Originally Posted By: nthach

Purolator has gone from golden child to black sheep on this forum over the course of the last decade. Now people here worship Honda's OEM supplier, Fram

From my observations here, what Puro supplies to the OEMs as factory/service(Motorcraft/Mopar/Toyota) tend to hold up better than their main retail and jobber lines. The Boss series looks like it might be immune from Teargate, but there's still cut ADBVs.

But then again, I'm sure there's an FL400s/FL820s/FL500 with a rip or tattered ADBV.

soo I'll ask again.. Does anyone know if the rest of the Toyota filter line up has purolator manufacturing those too or it's just this G-series filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back