Toyota Red in SBC 350??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who swears by using Toyota Red coolant in his 350. He claims his temps run 7-8 degrees cooler than with regular coolant mixture. I'm interested in this because down here in south Georgia, my 350 runs a little hotter during the day and a drop of 5 - 10 degrees would be very welcomed.

Anyone have any thoughts on swapping to Toyota Red for a SBC 350, pros/cons/concerns?

Unless he's running a 60/40 concentration or higher (more water) I don't see how he'd see any difference between forms of EG's. The phosphates in the Toyota red OAT coolant do what for lowering temps? If he was running 7-8 degrees cooler, that suggests he was running above thermostat set point to begin with. I'd look for other ways to reduce coolant temps.

Quote:
Unless he's running a 60/40 concentration or higher (more water) I don't see how he'd see any difference between forms of EG's

+1. Only more water would make a measurable difference.

And I would NEVER change a system from green to red or vice versa. BTDT (inherited the problem), had to pay for the mistake. There is always enough of the old fluid left to create a nasty reaction that eats the plastics in the radiator and heater components. I have had it happen twice (going from red to green, then components failing years later when they should not have).

If it has green, stay with green (or dexcool, etc.). If it has Red, stay with red. Billy Joel's advice on coolant choice is still correct today:

Don't go changing to try to please me.
I'll take you just the way you are.

Don't go trying some new fashion.
I never want to work that hard.
I want you just the way you are.

The ability of an ethylene glycol/water mixture to transfer heat is dependent on the ratio of water to antifreeze, not what brand it happens to be (as long as it is still ethylene glycol). Besides, the normal operating temperature is dictated by the thermostat so unless you are out of thermostat control there won't be a temperature difference between mixtures.

Also why is a lower operating temperature welcome? In general the higher the operating temperature the more efficient the engine will be, up to and including the design temperature. If your engine is consistently operating with a wide-open thermostat and out of control, then generally that is indicative of a mechanical problem.

Toyota red/pink is silicate-free, but I think your friend is really worried about Dex-Sludge and seeing his intake gaskets attacked by Dex-Cool(which shouldn't happen if he's using the newest Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus IMGs for Chevy Vortec heads or the like which can hold up against Dex).

Silicates can inhibit heat transfer - they work by coating metal surfaces against cavitation. Most "conventional" green these days have lower silicate content. However, that degree of inhibition is very small.

Last edited:
Maybe he's buying 50/50 and diluting it another 50%.
wink.gif

Thanks for the responses.

To be clear, his truck is a 1954 Chevy with a small block 350 and mine is a 51 with small block 350. He uses his to tow a travel trailer and he only really had issues when he'd get into the mountains up north. Since switching to the red, he says he hasn't had those issues.

Sounds like I'll stick to the green. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back