Anyone here use Mirror Glaze #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Meguiar's to ask them what would be a good finishing polish to use following the use of the 205, and they recommended using Mirror Glaze #7. Is this a good finishing polish, and can it be used either by hand or with a DA?

Old school in terms of its application and removal but if done right looks fantastic. Personally I would use Meguiars 26 wax but the glaze would be great at adding shine. Not much in terms of protection though

I often use #7 glaze after polish, great shine, however as mentioned above it doesn't offer protection.

I always wax over the glaze.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Old school in terms of its application and removal but if done right looks fantastic. Personally I would use Meguiars 26 wax but the glaze would be great at adding shine. Not much in terms of protection though

I wouldn't be using it as a protectant, only as a final polish. The protectant I use is Collinite 845...

#7 - apply by hand to the panel. Go a little heavy. Remove before it dries or you're in for a tough time.

Seal the paint with #21 and top with #26 after waiting 24 hours.

You've never seen paint pop like that before.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
#7 is a glaze, or as Meguiar's puts it, a "pure polish." It contains no abrasives.

Then it may not be the product I need. I need something to use after I use the 205, which is a fine cut polish, but it still leaves a slightly hazy look, which means there needs to be a final polish (something with an ultra fine abrasive) used after the 205 to get rid of the haze, and to get that "wet" look...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Then it may not be the product I need. I need something to use after I use the 205, which is a fine cut polish, but it still leaves a slightly hazy look, which means there needs to be a final polish (something with an ultra fine abrasive) used after the 205 to get rid of the haze, and to get that "wet" look...

205 should finish perfectly... What pad are you using and on what type of polisher?

205 should finish perfectly... What pad are you using and on what type of polisher?

I haven't used it with a polisher, only by hand. Maybe that's the problem?

#7 is a glaze, or as Meguiar's puts it, a "pure polish." It contains no abrasives.

I have never seen 205 finish to anything but a beautiful, clear, shiny finish. It's terriffic as a finishing polish. If it's leaving a haze, then you're probably doing it wrong.

Also, 105/205 always work best when applied with a DA tool.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I have never seen 205 finish to anything but a beautiful, clear, shiny finish. It's terriffic as a finishing polish. If it's leaving a haze, then you're probably doing it wrong.

Also, 105/205 always work best when applied with a DA tool.

That's probably my problem then...I've only used it by hand...

A glaze simply conceals paint defects. Kind of like what make up does to people. Sooner or later it will wash away and the defects return.

A simple Harbor Freight polisher for less than $100 will have correcting ability. For a little over a $100 Mothers offers the Wax Attack which is a palm polisher with some good pads. Kind of a fools errand to polish by hand.

http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wax-attack-polisher.html

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
A glaze simply conceals paint defects. Kind of like what make up does to people. Sooner or later it will wash away and the defects return.

A simple Harbor Freight polisher for less than $100 will have correcting ability. For a little over a $100 Mothers offers the Wax Attack which is a palm polisher with some good pads. Kind of a fools errand to polish by hand.

http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wax-attack-polisher.html

Looks like a nice DA polisher...I've never used Mother's polishes or waxes, so I would probably use this polisher with the Meguiar's polishes, and Collinite 845 for the sealant...

Walmart has a $20 palm polisher that comes with a foam and microfiber bonnet. It doesn't compare to the higher priced machines but it's a TON better than doing it by hand. It won't correct paint either. Keep in mind that correcting paint will diminish the clear coat on the finish. So don't get too caught up in removing swirls and micro-scratches. People can easily go over board with auto detailing equipment and supplies.

The main goal should be clean and protected paint. Claying with either traditional clay or the nanoskin products is a must. Then IPA (rubbing alcohol) wipe down so the the LSP (last step product) will bond better to the finish. Then stick car in garage for 24 hours so the sealant can bond properly. Evening/morning dew can affect the sealant curing properly.

Last edited:
The Harbor Freight DA polisher is really a great bang for your buck - it's what I used the last time I did a full correction on my 2010 Fusion. It worked great, and my results were awesome. Here's a trunk pic of how it looked when I was done:

2lvxsn4.jpg

Incidentally - M105 and M205 were largely responsible for these results.

A few caveats:

- The backing plate that comes with it is lacking. It will work, and in fact I was able to complete the paint correction on my Fusion using the stock backing plate, but it absolutely CHEWED through pads.. Replace the backing plate with a better one, and your pads will last MUCH longer.

- The grease that comes pre-packed in it out of the box is not very good. As a result, it's NOISY and transmits a lot of vibration. When you replace the backing plate, it's very worth it to open it up, clean out the grease, and re-pack it with good grease.

- Some people change the orientation of the head and report that it's easier to use, etc.. I did not do this, but apparently it's pretty common.

- Some people replace the power cord with a longer/better one.

Mods can be found HERE

I will say that there ARE definitely better DA polishers out there, but I'm pretty happy with the HF one that I have, now that I've done the first two mods, above.

Ill tell ya what, you dont need m105 for most applications. Meguiars ultimate compound and a orange lake country pad on a da will pull alot of defects out of paint except for the hardest paint. On dark paint #7 can add depth to the gloss. Wipe on wipe off and let it set. Then put a non cleaner wax over it like #26 or ultmiate wax.

Not too hard or expensive.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Ill tell ya what, you dont need m105 for most applications. Meguiars ultimate compound and a orange lake country pad on a da will pull alot of defects out of paint except for the hardest paint. On dark paint #7 can add depth to the gloss. Wipe on wipe off and let it set. Then put a non cleaner wax over it like #26 or ultmiate wax.

Not too hard or expensive.

For what it's worth.. Meg's M105 is the same thing as their Ultimate Compound.. the M105 is basically their 'detailer line' and Utimate Compound is their 'consumer line'. Different size bottles, and different labels.. but the same stuff inside. It's just like how D156 is the same thing as their 'Ultimate Quik Wax' just with a different scent and different size bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back